Young Boys are dealing with an injury concern ahead of the match with Manchester United.
Star centre-back Cedric Zesiger ‘suffered a bruised foot and a bone in his knee on his right leg’ against FC Zurich at the weekend, report the club’s official website.
Zesiger has not been ruled out, instead he is in the club’s injury report as ‘questionable’.
The report adds: “How long he will be out depends on the healing process and the pain.”
Zesiger was present at training ahead of the United game, in which he was pictured speaking to boss David Wagner (below).
An unwanted complication for the Swiss side
Zesiger, 23, is a Switzerland international and he has played 11 games already for Young Boys this season.
The centre-back has made 84 appearances for the club since since from Grasshoppers in 2019.
Zesiger scored in Young Boys’ second leg Champions League qualifying victory over Ferencvaros.
Any time a team faces Cristiano Ronaldo, they will want their first choice defenders available.
Zesiger is either going to be ruled out, or try to play through the pain. Neither situation is ideal for the home side.
It is not often a fixture at home to Manchester United comes around, so Zesiger may attempt to play.
United to go for the win
United beat Young Boys 3-0 away in 2018 and will be looking for another similar scoreline to kick off this season’s Champions League campaign.
Cristiano Ronaldo has an all-time record of 134 goals in the competition and he will be looking to add to his tally.
He will want to make an impression and set the tone after a disappointing exit last season with Juventus against Porto, while United crashed out at the group stages.
United will be desperate to get off to a strong start in Switzerland in the clash which kicks off at 5.45pm on Tuesday.
Manchester United’s Champions League group stages fixtures 2021
- Young Boys (A)
Tuesday September 14, 5.45pm
- Villarreal (H)
Wednesday September 29, 8pm
- Atalanta (H)
Wednesday October 20, 8pm
- Atalanta (A)
Tuesday November 2, 8pm
- Villarreal (A)
Tuesday November 23, 5.45pm
- Young Boys (H)
Wednesday December 8, 8pm
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat
- Anthony Elanga makes a big impression in a short amount of time
- Solskjaer comments on Edinson Cavani’s fitness
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?