Manchester United’s win over Newcastle was the Premier League’s must-watch game of the weekend.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s return did not disappoint, with the Portuguese superstar leading United to a 4-1 victory.
Three Manchester United players have been named in BBC Sport’s team of the week.
Predictably, one was Cristiano Ronaldo, who netted United’s first two goals in the victory on his second debut for the club.
Pundit Garth Crooks, who made the selections, wrote: “I’ve seen Ronaldo have better games and score better goals but, at 36, with the attention placed on the five-time Ballon d’ Or winner and level of expectancy, it was a masterclass.”
Who else made it in?
Two more United players made it into the XI, Luke Shaw and Bruno Fernandes.
Shaw provided the assist for Ronaldo’s second goal after steaming through the midfield and playing a through ball into the forward’s path.
Crooks wrote: “Is it me or is Luke Shaw looking imperious at the moment? I haven’t seen Shaw play with the authority he is displaying.”
Fernandes scored United’s third goal, which was arguably the pick of the bunch as he arrowed a shot into the top corner from outside the box.
Fernandes is now United’s top scorer with four goals for the season so far.
Crooks said: “It was not only the best goal of the match but the midfielder didn’t appear to be the slightest bit overawed by the arrival or presence of his countryman Ronaldo.”
United are blessed with talent
Crooks perhaps should not have stopped there. United had more players who would have fitted in pretty well.
Raphael Varane was excellent at centre-back as he made a successful home debut.
Paul Pogba was also impressive in midfield, making a total of 125 touches and providing two assists to increase his season tally to seven.
Even Nemanja Matic rolled back the clock to put in a strong midfield performance.
It is good to see United’s players picking up recognition, and Ronaldo is likely to be a regular fixture in weekly awards like this.
- Teenager Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat
- Anthony Elanga makes a big impression in a short amount of time
- Solskjaer comments on Edinson Cavani’s fitness