Three Manchester United players named in BBC team of the week
Manchester United’s win over Newcastle was the Premier League’s must-watch game of the weekend.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s return did not disappoint, with the Portuguese superstar leading United to a 4-1 victory.
Three Manchester United players have been named in BBC Sport’s team of the week.
Predictably, one was Cristiano Ronaldo, who netted United’s first two goals in the victory on his second debut for the club.
Pundit Garth Crooks, who made the selections, wrote: “I’ve seen Ronaldo have better games and score better goals but, at 36, with the attention placed on the five-time Ballon d’ Or winner and level of expectancy, it was a masterclass.”
Who else made it in?
Two more United players made it into the XI, Luke Shaw and Bruno Fernandes.
Shaw provided the assist for Ronaldo’s second goal after steaming through the midfield and playing a through ball into the forward’s path.
Crooks wrote: “Is it me or is Luke Shaw looking imperious at the moment? I haven’t seen Shaw play with the authority he is displaying.”
Fernandes scored United’s third goal, which was arguably the pick of the bunch as he arrowed a shot into the top corner from outside the box.
Fernandes is now United’s top scorer with four goals for the season so far.
Crooks said: “It was not only the best goal of the match but the midfielder didn’t appear to be the slightest bit overawed by the arrival or presence of his countryman Ronaldo.”
United are blessed with talent
Crooks perhaps should not have stopped there. United had more players who would have fitted in pretty well.
Raphael Varane was excellent at centre-back as he made a successful home debut.
Paul Pogba was also impressive in midfield, making a total of 125 touches and providing two assists to increase his season tally to seven.
Even Nemanja Matic rolled back the clock to put in a strong midfield performance.
It is good to see United’s players picking up recognition, and Ronaldo is likely to be a regular fixture in weekly awards like this.
- 'Top player': Former Manchester United player raves about 'fantastic' Ten Hag signing
- Only 3 players who started Manchester United's last win at Etihad likely to start under Ten Hag
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League
- £46m Manchester United star says he is feeling confident ahead of the World Cup
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision
- 'World class': Teammate raves over Manchester United star after 'frighteningly good' international performance
- Manchester United receive a favour as international boss learns same lesson as Ten Hag
- 'Whatever we need': £113m star praises Manchester United ace