Paul Pogba has added his backing for England’s unfortunate trio of players who missed penalties.
Manchester United teammate Marcus Rashford, incoming star Jadon Sancho, and Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka each missed spot kicks.
Pogba has spoken out to say he is ‘proud’ of all three England players in an passionate Instagram post to show his support.
The United midfielder said all three players should hold their heads high.
The trio have been subject of some deplorable racist abuse on social media, but there have also been plenty of strong voices speaking out to condemn it.
Scott McTominay lashed out at the ‘horrendous’ abuse aimed at the players earlier and urged them to keep their heads up.
Nicky Butt and Rio Ferdinand had also added their support towards the England trio.
Pogba had earlier congratulated Italy on their win and vowed that France would ‘be back’.
France were also defeated on penalties against Switzerland with Kylian Mbappe missing the decisive spot kick.
Pogba’s message will be gratefully received by all of the England trio.
It’s still unclear whether Pogba will link up with Sancho at United or whether he will push for a move, with his contract running out.
If the pair do cross paths, even briefly in pre-season – or more permanently, Pogba will be doing his utmost to ensure Sancho’s spirits are high and that he feels welcome in Manchester.
Manchester supports Rashford
David de Gea also spoke out to support Marcus Rashford after the penalty miss.
It was also encouraging to see members of the public decorate the Rashford wall mural in Withington with hearts and positive messages, after it had been defaced overnight.
Rashford will bounce back from this, as will Sancho and Saka. The shootout was a crushing blow, but it is just one chapter in their stories, with their whole futures ahead of them.
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys
- Robbie Savage's reaction as son Charlie comes on to make Manchester United debut
- 5 things learned as Manchester United draw 1-1 against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes