David de Gea sends supportive message to Marcus Rashford
If anybody knows about the agony and heartbreak of missing a penalty, it is David de Gea.
The Spaniard received a double dose of criticism after the Europa League shootout after conceding 11 spot kicks and then missing his own.
Now it is his turn to console a teammate. De Gea has reached out to Rashford to offer his support.
Rashford was one of three players along with Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka who missed in the Euro 2020 final shootout.
De Gea’s message is a sign of the bond between the Manchester United players and the admiration for Rashford. The forward will have received dozens of messages privately.
Former stars Nicky Butt and Rio Ferdinand are among those who have reached out and offered their support.
Rashford will need the backing of United fans and he will get it next season with supporters back in stadiums.
The late miss capped a disappointing tournament for Rashford, who had not been given the chance to start a single game.
An important decision is upcoming about his fitness and whether he requires an operation on his shoulder.
Whatever the upcoming season holds, the support from De Gea right now will mean a lot to Rashford as he looks to recover from this setback.
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision
- 'World class': Teammate raves over Manchester United star after 'frighteningly good' international performance
- Manchester United receive a favour as international boss learns same lesson as Ten Hag
- 'Whatever we need': £113m star praises Manchester United ace
- 8 Chances Created: Manchester United star produces masterclass in upset international win
- 'Disaster': Player released from Manchester United last summer leaps to the defence of former teammate
- 18-year-old Manchester United whizkid who's trained with first team scores first youth international goal
- Cristiano Ronaldo has been helping Manchester United teammate improve a specific aspect of his game
- Manchester United could pursue 45-cap international if club makes big decision on Ten Hag regular
- Manchester United man ruled out of crucial international clash through suspension
- Former Manchester United captain hopes Red Devils sign 20-year-old who could have been signed for £4.5m