After beginning pre-season with Manchester United’s first team, Hannibal is at the moment back with the under-23s.
The first team picture is a little too crowded for Hannibal right now. He is doing his best to get back onto Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s radar.
On Tuesday afternoon, Hannibal scored a long range goal in United’s under-23 win over Sheffield Wednesday.
- You can watch the impressive goal in the clip below…
Hannibal also provided an assist in the 4-2 victory. The goal was a perfect illustration of his ability, which has United supporters confident he can reach the very top.
Hannibal is already a Tunisia international. Last season he provided more assists for Manchester United’s under-23s than any other player.
So there is a big question upcoming for Manchester United over what to do with Hannibal this season. His goal underlined his potential and the dilemma facing the Red Devils before the transfer window.
Hannibal is talented enough to stay and earn minutes for Manchester United’s first team.
But let’s be real, he is not going to get enough minutes to make staying a satisfactory option.
United extended Juan Mata’s contract and currently expect to keep Jesse Lingard. Both players block Hannibal’s path, and it is very possible just one or neither will be at Old Trafford in 12 months time.
The best course of action may be for United to loan Hannibal out for 12 months, for him to continue to sharpen his ability at a first team level.
There will be debate over which level to send him out to. Should he take some lumps in the Championship and League One and get kicked around, while toughening himself up a bit in the process?
Or could his technical ability be best suited to a developmental loan in Portugal or Netherlands? One way or another, United have a decision to make.
If Hannibal stays, he may begin with the under-23s, but United need to give him an opportunity to progress upwards over the course of the season. He has one first team appearance to far, at the end of last season.
Hannibal is a creative player who scores goals and creates them, and at just 18, the young midfielder is a player United have to allow to reach his potential.
Here is a look at the way United supporters reacted to Hannibal’s goal…
That kid is something special. I can't wait to see him in the first team.— GAZZAMAZZA (@GAZZAMAZZA) August 10, 2021
Pogba used to knock 3 or 4 of these a year for the academy, good sign!!— Gaíbriel (@G_D_07) August 10, 2021
Top, top talent. Deserves first team minutes this season. Can be an excellent backup for Bruno in my opinion.— Hub (@utd_hub10) August 10, 2021
this boy is so special man. sometimes i wish we could fast forward 5 years to see him destroy the prem.— Niarra (@Niarra__) August 10, 2021
Send him on Loan so he can get to the first team next season— King Nom Nom 👑 (@Odogwu_Nomso) August 10, 2021
This is why we don’t need Lingard or Andreas. Could easily be making the bench but instead being held back— Just an honest opinion (@AaronSwallow2) August 10, 2021
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news