Manchester United winger Jadon Sancho has picked up a ‘small knock’ in training for England.
England boss Gareth Southgate told reporters Sancho picked up the knock in training this morning.
Southgate says Sancho will be assessed ahead of Thursday’s World Cup qualifier away at Hungary on Thursday night.
It is far from ideal for Sancho to be getting injured for England no matter how minor.
The winger had a delayed start to the season after returning late to training following illness after his holiday.
This has meant he has only been able to start one match for Manchester United so far since joining.
Sancho is clearly still finding his form and while England duty could work to his benefit, only if he can stay fit.
As we saw at Euro 2020, Sancho is not part of England’s starting XI. So he may not be missed too much.
A best possible outcome would be for Sancho to return to Carrington and not fly out to Hungary with the rest of the squad.
England face Andorra at Wembley on Sunday before travelling to Poland for a match next Wednesday.
Manchester United’s next game is against Newcastle at Old Trafford the following Saturday, before an away game in Switzerland against Young Boys in the Champions League.
So there will be plenty of back and forth for Sancho over the next few weeks, and England and United both need him fully fit.
Hopefully this injury is only very minor and only requires a 24 hour recovery.
Gareth Southgate did not shed any light on the detail of the injury, other than describing it as a ‘small knock’.
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap