Cristiano Ronaldo becomes all-time record international goalscorer
Cristiano Ronaldo has scored his 110th and 111th international goals for Portugal.
Ronaldo scored an equaliser 88 minutes into Portugal’s World Cup qualifying match with Republic of Ireland.
The Manchester United star leaped high and buried a header low into the net to salvage a frustrating evening and make history.
He then scored a winner in injury time from a header to spark wild celebrations and move to 111 goals.
Ronaldo had earlier missed from the penalty spot in the 13th minute after club and country teammate Bruno Fernandes was fouled inside the box.
Ronaldo was previously level on 109 goals with Iran’s Ali Daei. He tied the record at Euro 2020.
Daei’s record has stood since his retirement in 2006, having broken the previous record held by Ferenc Puskas in 2003.
Now Ronaldo has made history on his own and he will be looking to extend his goal tally further.
Ronaldo currently holds the record as Champions League top goalscorer too, with 134 goals.
The 36-year-old recently clinched his return to Manchester United after leaving the club in 2009.
This is the first of three international games for Ronaldo over the break, with away matches upcoming against Qatar, and then Azerbaijan.
Ronaldo’s top scoring rival Lionel Messi has 76 international goals for Argentina.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag
- £35m star's possible Manchester United move spells trouble for two Red Devils stars
- Midfield star Rangnick recommended is available: Manchester United would be fools not to sign him
- Attacking star Ten Hag managed asks lawyer to find new club amid Manchester United links
- New twist in future of Manchester United star with no goals in nearly 7 months
- £35m star is ideal signing and Manchester United have already made a crucial error