Cristiano Ronaldo has scored his 110th and 111th international goals for Portugal.
Ronaldo scored an equaliser 88 minutes into Portugal’s World Cup qualifying match with Republic of Ireland.
The Manchester United star leaped high and buried a header low into the net to salvage a frustrating evening and make history.
He then scored a winner in injury time from a header to spark wild celebrations and move to 111 goals.
Ronaldo had earlier missed from the penalty spot in the 13th minute after club and country teammate Bruno Fernandes was fouled inside the box.
Ronaldo was previously level on 109 goals with Iran’s Ali Daei. He tied the record at Euro 2020.
Daei’s record has stood since his retirement in 2006, having broken the previous record held by Ferenc Puskas in 2003.
Now Ronaldo has made history on his own and he will be looking to extend his goal tally further.
Ronaldo currently holds the record as Champions League top goalscorer too, with 134 goals.
The 36-year-old recently clinched his return to Manchester United after leaving the club in 2009.
This is the first of three international games for Ronaldo over the break, with away matches upcoming against Qatar, and then Azerbaijan.
Ronaldo’s top scoring rival Lionel Messi has 76 international goals for Argentina.
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat
- Anthony Elanga makes a big impression in a short amount of time
- Solskjaer comments on Edinson Cavani’s fitness
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance