United fans react as Mourinho set to be reunited with Mkhitaryan at Roma
Jose Mourinho will be back in football next season.
He has been appointed as Roma manager and will start work ahead of the 2021/22 season.
Paulo Fonseca will still be in charge on Thursday against Manchester United and for the rest of the campaign before Mourinho takes over.
The appointment means Mourinho will reunite with two of his former United players, Chris Smalling and Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
The reunion with Mkhitaryan caught the attention of some United fans on Twitter as soon as the news was announced.
What went wrong for Mkhitaryan under Mourinho?
Mourinho was the manager who brought Mkhitaryan to United in July 2016.
It took him until December to score his first league goal, in a 1-0 win over Tottenham.
In a recent interview, he said that Mourinho blamed him in private for the criticism he was getting in the press during that season.
Despite scoring in the 2017 Europa League final win over Ajax, the problems continued.
And by November 2017, Mourinho was calling the midfielder out in the press, saying he wasn’t happy with his performances.
In the next transfer window, Mourinho had overseen Mkhitaryan’s departure from the club as part of the swap deal to sign Alexis Sanchez.
The Armenian arrived at Old Trafford on the back of a staggering season where he scored 23 goals and laid on 32 assists in all competitions for Borussia Dortmund.
He left as a makeweight in a swap deal, having had his confidence ravaged by Mourinho, who never seemed to fully trust him.
That means that Mkhitaryan may well be disappointed by the identity of his new manager at a club where he had made a fresh start and got his confidence back after the tricky time he had in English football.
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months