Jose Mourinho will be back in football next season.
He has been appointed as Roma manager and will start work ahead of the 2021/22 season.
Paulo Fonseca will still be in charge on Thursday against Manchester United and for the rest of the campaign before Mourinho takes over.
The appointment means Mourinho will reunite with two of his former United players, Chris Smalling and Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
The reunion with Mkhitaryan caught the attention of some United fans on Twitter as soon as the news was announced.
What went wrong for Mkhitaryan under Mourinho?
Mourinho was the manager who brought Mkhitaryan to United in July 2016.
It took him until December to score his first league goal, in a 1-0 win over Tottenham.
In a recent interview, he said that Mourinho blamed him in private for the criticism he was getting in the press during that season.
Despite scoring in the 2017 Europa League final win over Ajax, the problems continued.
And by November 2017, Mourinho was calling the midfielder out in the press, saying he wasn’t happy with his performances.
In the next transfer window, Mourinho had overseen Mkhitaryan’s departure from the club as part of the swap deal to sign Alexis Sanchez.
The Armenian arrived at Old Trafford on the back of a staggering season where he scored 23 goals and laid on 32 assists in all competitions for Borussia Dortmund.
He left as a makeweight in a swap deal, having had his confidence ravaged by Mourinho, who never seemed to fully trust him.
That means that Mkhitaryan may well be disappointed by the identity of his new manager at a club where he had made a fresh start and got his confidence back after the tricky time he had in English football.
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018
- It is now clear how important Harry Maguire is for Manchester United
- Why Manchester United should keep James Garner close to home after claims of possible foreign loan
- Manchester United should let Charlie McNeill train with Edinson Cavani while he can
- Sulemana link following James, Amad and Pellistri signings shows how highly Solskjaer rates pace at United
- Arnau Puigmal in Spain ahead of expected Manchester United departure
- Andreas Pereira desperate to move on and simply play regular football