United loanee Tahith Chong questionable to feature this weekend due to injury
Tahith Chong produced a man of the match performance for Birmingham City at the weekend on his debut.
The Manchester United loanee’s midfield display was cut short on 78 minutes when he hobbled off with injury.
Chong did not feature in a changed team for Birmingham in the Carabao Cup in midweek.
Now, ahead of the Blues’ Championship game at the weekend at home to Stoke City, manager Lee Bowyer has provided an update on Chong’s fitness.
Bowyer told a press conference: “Tahith came off injured against Sheffield United, he hasn’t trained this week.
“He is touch and go for Saturday. We will have to assess him tomorrow.”
It is less than ideal for Chong, after a perfect start in which he helped Birmingham to a 1-0 away win to open the season.
At best it seems Chong will be on the bench this weekend. There is another home game against Bournemouth on the Wednesday, so that could be more likely for his return.
Chong featured in an all action midfield role as part of a central three, and impressed Bowyer with his defensive work as much as his attacking contribution.
The manager told the club website last week: “When he made that run towards the end, 50 yards tracking someone, tracking someone sprinting back to help the team out – that will do for me. I am delighted with him.”
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed
- Opinion: Ten Hag must be considering brave call to start 20-year-old in Manchester derby
- One year since his worst Manchester United moment, 23-year-old is at career high point
- 'He's promised'… Manchester United star's mum says she hopes he signs with former club
- Dutch football expert explains why Antony and Lisandro Martinez could dominate Manchester derby
- Report: Two Manchester United players have not trained fully this week and could now miss the derby
- Roberto Carlos explains why he'd have liked to play alongside two Manchester United stars