Tahith Chong produced a man of the match performance for Birmingham City at the weekend on his debut.
The Manchester United loanee’s midfield display was cut short on 78 minutes when he hobbled off with injury.
Chong did not feature in a changed team for Birmingham in the Carabao Cup in midweek.
Now, ahead of the Blues’ Championship game at the weekend at home to Stoke City, manager Lee Bowyer has provided an update on Chong’s fitness.
Bowyer told a press conference: “Tahith came off injured against Sheffield United, he hasn’t trained this week.
“He is touch and go for Saturday. We will have to assess him tomorrow.”
It is less than ideal for Chong, after a perfect start in which he helped Birmingham to a 1-0 away win to open the season.
At best it seems Chong will be on the bench this weekend. There is another home game against Bournemouth on the Wednesday, so that could be more likely for his return.
Chong featured in an all action midfield role as part of a central three, and impressed Bowyer with his defensive work as much as his attacking contribution.
The manager told the club website last week: “When he made that run towards the end, 50 yards tracking someone, tracking someone sprinting back to help the team out – that will do for me. I am delighted with him.”
- Manchester United injuries and suspensions: All six first team players set to miss Leeds game
- Qatari investors planning ‘massive offer’ for Manchester United
- Fred says he enjoys scoring against Leeds and wants to keep doing it
- Bruno Fernandes will be looking to improve upon his formidable record against managerless Leeds United
- Raphael Varane gives his verdict on where Marcus Rashford ranks among the best players he’s played with
- Manchester United loanee Will Fish performances rated by Hibernian captain
- A look at how many times Mason Greenwood has been capped for England
- Erik ten Hag says Manchester United star is now injured and will not face Leeds tomorrow
- Manchester United ‘bid £100 million’ for Declan Rice last summer, claims transfer expert
- Dishon Bernard named in League One Team of the Week after impressive debut
- Former Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero finally steps up for Boca Juniors
- Rio Ferdinand gives verdict when asked if Lisandro Martinez is best centre-back in Premier League
- Diogo Dalot could get the best out of Wout Weghorst
- Bebe scores last minute winner on debut for new club
- Frenkie de Jong’s fiancee gives blunt verdict on when midfielder is finally coming to Manchester