Manchester United’s path is clear to sign goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
Heaton has been released by Aston Villa, the club confirmed on their official website.
This was expected, and his contract officially expires on June 30.
Heaton, 35, is expected to sign as a free agent with Manchester United on July 1.
Heaton has responded to his Villa exit and said goodbye, thanking the club ahead of his next adventure, although he made no specific reference to his next move.
Heaton left United in 2010 on a free transfer, to the annoyance of Sir Alex Ferguson, and his potential return 11 years on brings his career full circle.
His arrival gives United extra depth in case either of David de Gea or Dean Henderson leave, as is likely.
Sergio Romero is set to depart when his contract expires, he’s already back in Argentina, while Lee Grant’s deal is also set to run out in June.
Heaton’s release from Villa does clear the path for United to announce his impending arrival of they chose to do so ahead of July.
The Mail reported that Heaton was approached by Liverpool but his preference was to return to United.
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news