As Manchester United prepared for Wednesday night’s Europa League final, one of the players who won the trophy in 2017 was on the other side of the world.
Goalkeeper Sergio Romero was back in his native Argentina, and he is busy plotting his next move.
Romero’s contract at United expires at the end of June and he will not be retained.
The 2014 World Cup finalist posted an Instagram message saying that he is preparing for his next move.
While it has long been obvious Romero would be let go when his contract expired, this is the first time he has acknowledged it.
Just three weeks ago he shared an image training at Carrington with United’s other goalkeepers, commenting that he is still ‘always giving his best’.
While he was added to United’s Premier League squad in February, having been omitted in the first half of the campaign, there was no farewell appearance for Romero, despite the team closing out the season with a series of dead rubber games.
Romero’s last match for United was the Europa League quarter-final against Copenhagen in August 2020, less than a year ago.
It is a sad end for Romero, who both won the Europa League final in 2017 with United, and also came out on top in his last penalty shootout, when United beat Rochdale in 2019 in the Carabao Cup.
It always felt like Romero was harshly treated, but his departure does remove some salary from the wage bill.
After missing the entire 2020/21 season, Romero is clearly keen to get in the best shape possible to show clubs he is worth signing.
Romero, 34, should still have plenty left to offer, and if clubs in Europe don’t come calling, then he should be able to find one in Argentina.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 5-0 to Liverpool