Donny van de Beek made his return from injury in Manchester United’s final game before the break.
He was then able to use the international break to get some game time for Netherlands, and then get onto the scoresheet too.
Van de Beek scored in Holland’s 7-0 win over Gibraltar, which should have lifted his confidence.
From hearing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s comments, it appears Van de Beek has returned to Carrington with a spring in his step.
Solskjaer told the club website he has been impressed by how the Dutchman has trained.
Solskjaer said: “He scored some absolute crackers in training this morning.
Sometimes, it’s natural that if you don’t play, you have injuries, you lose a bit of confidence, that spark.
You go away with your national team… I can talk from my own experience. Sometimes I went away to play with Norway and came back, just to get the feel about yourself back and feel better.
He’s come back and, in training this morning, he scored some absolute top, top goals that I’d be really proud of myself.
“It’s done him the world of good going away, scoring a goal for Holland.
We hope we can see a lot of that for the next seven or eight weeks of the season and then to kick on again.“
Solskjaer’s comments will be designed to give Van de Beek some extra confidence – although it sounds like he may not need it.
A strong end to the season could be so important for Van de Beek to have a settled summer, and then to begin the next one well.
Will he start against Brighton?
United are back to the same old problem, wondering where Van de Beek will fit in.
Bruno Fernandes returned early from the internationals due to suspension so he is even more certain to start against Brighton than usual.
Van de Beek’s best chance is if United line up in a diamond formation, increasing his chance of selection.
He will hope to start at least one of the next three games, with the home match against Brighton followed by away games with Granada and then Tottenham.
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing
- Manchester United swapping Pogba for Ronaldo would not solve the main problem
- Manchester United’s Hannibal Mejbri can return from international duty a different player
- Scotland fans go crazy for Scott McTominay after performance against England
- England v Scotland: Two Manchester United stars have scored for Three Lions v Scotland in last 25 years
- PSV midfielder Ibrahim Sangare pictured wearing Manchester United kit
- Gary Neville says he does not like Manchester United’s new 2021/22 home kit