Solskjaer says Van de Beek has impressed him in training
Donny van de Beek made his return from injury in Manchester United’s final game before the break.
He was then able to use the international break to get some game time for Netherlands, and then get onto the scoresheet too.
Van de Beek scored in Holland’s 7-0 win over Gibraltar, which should have lifted his confidence.
From hearing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s comments, it appears Van de Beek has returned to Carrington with a spring in his step.
Solskjaer told the club website he has been impressed by how the Dutchman has trained.
Solskjaer said: “He scored some absolute crackers in training this morning.
Sometimes, it’s natural that if you don’t play, you have injuries, you lose a bit of confidence, that spark.
You go away with your national team… I can talk from my own experience. Sometimes I went away to play with Norway and came back, just to get the feel about yourself back and feel better.
He’s come back and, in training this morning, he scored some absolute top, top goals that I’d be really proud of myself.
“It’s done him the world of good going away, scoring a goal for Holland.
We hope we can see a lot of that for the next seven or eight weeks of the season and then to kick on again.“
Solskjaer’s comments will be designed to give Van de Beek some extra confidence – although it sounds like he may not need it.
A strong end to the season could be so important for Van de Beek to have a settled summer, and then to begin the next one well.
Will he start against Brighton?
United are back to the same old problem, wondering where Van de Beek will fit in.
Bruno Fernandes returned early from the internationals due to suspension so he is even more certain to start against Brighton than usual.
Van de Beek’s best chance is if United line up in a diamond formation, increasing his chance of selection.
He will hope to start at least one of the next three games, with the home match against Brighton followed by away games with Granada and then Tottenham.
- Manchester United star set to be handed first World Cup start in place of injured Neymar
- The Premier League rule change which must be made for United's next owners
- £58m star's agents attempt to find move and Manchester United reportedly interested
- Manchester United may have identified £52m star as Casemiro's long-term successor
- Manchester United attacker returns to World Cup training after missing two days with illness
- Report: Manchester United line-up attacker for move, £88m fee demanded
- Two Manchester United stars respond to Lionel Messi after Argentina performance
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career
- 'Spectacular' Manchester United target wows Red Devils star with influential World Cup display
- 'Keep with me forever': Marcus Rashford pays heartfelt tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo following Manchester United exit
- Manchester United have scouted £43m-valued 'fantastic' striker who Owen Hargreaves loves several times