Six Premier League clubs expressed interest in signing Jesse Lingard
Jesse Lingard caused a surprise when he decided to stay put at Manchester United this summer.
Lingard was not short of options. According to The Times, there were six Premier League clubs who expressed interest in signing him.
United reportedly rejected all enquiries, with Lingard expressing a desire to stay put.
The Times did not disclose the names of the six clubs who asked after Lingard, although West Ham, where he spent a successful stretch on loan, were obviously one of them.
Football.London also reported during the window that Leicester City were keen
What’s going on with Lingard’s contract?
The report also states Lingard has rejected a contract extension offer from Manchester United.
Lingard’s current deal has just one year left to run, allowing him to leave as a free agent next summer.
Lingard may be open to signing a new deal later down the line, but he needs to be convinced first.
At present he is on the fringes of United’s first team and needs to be shown that he can have a regular role.
Lingard’s preference is clearly to stay put, evidenced by his decision to stay in the summer.
What he needs is assurances from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer that he has a part to play, and the manager needs to speak with his actions rather than words.
Lingard scored two goals for England last week and wants to make the England 2022 World Cup squad.
He knows that if he signs a new deal, it could be unlikely teams will match United’s asking price. But if he really wants to guarantee an England spot, there is no better place to seal it than by performing regularly for United.
Staying put was a bold call from Lingard, and a sign he has faith in his own ability. Rejecting a new deal is probably a sensible and pragmatic decision at this time, and we can’t blame him for that. Let’s see how the first half of the season pans out for him.
- Only 3 players who started Manchester United's last win at Etihad likely to start under Ten Hag
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League
- £46m Manchester United star says he is feeling confident ahead of the World Cup
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision
- 'World class': Teammate raves over Manchester United star after 'frighteningly good' international performance
- Manchester United receive a favour as international boss learns same lesson as Ten Hag
- 'Whatever we need': £113m star praises Manchester United ace
- 8 Chances Created: Manchester United star produces masterclass in upset international win