Nemanja Matic has welcomed Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to Manchester United after a sensational return debut.
Ronaldo scored two goals in the 4-1 win over Newcastle to cap a memorable day.
Matic played all 90 minutes upon his recall to the side and helped the team record what was, in the end, a comfortable victory.
The Serbian was delighted with both Ronaldo’s comeback, the impact it had on the crowd, and United’s squad depth.
Matic told MUTV: “Ronaldo brings positive energy to the stadium. He deserves all the best. We have everything in the team, we need to use that.
“Competition is good, you need to have competition if you want to win trophies. We will play every three days really, we have big squad we have to use that. Everybody is ready, and excited.”
United were able to bring Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial and Donny van de Beek off the bench, three international level players.
Fred, Victor Lindelof, Diogo Dalot and Juan Mata were unused substitutes, while there were a number who did not even make the squad due to fitness or selection reasons.
Scott McTominay, Alex Telles, Edinson Cavani and Marcus Rashford were all out injured, while Anthony Elanga didn’t quite make the cut.
It gives United serious options and there will be some rotation for the Champions League tie against Young Boys on Monday night.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a real balancing act on his hands, but with Ronaldo leading the line, United will be a danger, whoever lines up alongside him.
- Manchester City out of Carabao Cup: Did Manchester United miss out or have lucky escape?
- Three steps Solskjaer can take to avoid bowing out like Jose Mourinho
- Manchester United’s players pictured back in training
- Raphael Varane’s possible return would be Manchester United’s best case scenario
- A look at Antonio Conte’s record vs Manchester United
- Fred and McTominay stepped up for Solskjaer last season and he needs them to improve
- Josh Cavallo: Raphael Varane leads praise after Australian footballer comes out as gay
- Facundo Pellistri looking ahead to Barcelona after second successive Alaves win
- Pochettino reportedly remains United’s top choice to replace Solskjaer
- Paul Pogba hits back at claims he snubbed Solskjaer
- United loanee Ethan Galbraith scores stunning first goal for Doncaster
- Manchester United talent Alvaro Fernandez makes Spain U19 debut
- Erik Ten Hag already has £11m offer from another Premier League club
- Manchester United have two academy players who would be perfect for Conte’s wing-back system
- Manchester United director of football reportedly not involved in crunch Solskjaer talks