Manchester United under-23s beat Stalybridge Celtic 5-1 as Paul McShane starts
Manchester United’s under-23s were in action against Stalybridge Celtic in a friendly match tonight.
Paul McShane was part of the starting line-up after returning to the club as a player and coach to work across the academy. He partnered Bjorn Hardley in defence.
The team resembled an under-18 side from last season, bar McShane. Part of that was because many of these players will be stepping up to the under-23s, and the other aspect was that many regular under-23 players like Hannibal and Shola Shoretire.are with the first team squad.
This is how United lined up: Dermot Mee; Charlie Wellens, Bjorn Hardley, Paul McShane, Alvaro Fernandez; Charlie McCann, Noam Emeran, Charlie Savage, Zidane Iqbal, Charlie McNeill, Dillon Hoogewerf.
The substitutes bench was Radek Vitek, Logan Pye, Isak Hansen-Aaroen, Marc Jurado, Alejandro Garnacho.
United took a first half lead through Zidane Iqbal after a neat turn and shot. The young midfielder ended last season in terrific form and it is good to see him carry on with the same confidence.
Dillon Hoogewerf hit the woodwork from a free-kick in the second half as he looked to double United’s lead.
Hoogewerf had another shot saved minutes later, before finally getting his goal.
Paul McShane played an hour on his first appearance in a United shirt at any level since leaving the club in 2006. He was replaced by Logan Pye, while United switched goalkeepers and brought Radek Vitek on for Dermot Mee.
Hoogewerf grabbed another to continue his impressive evening. Like Iqbal, he ended last season in blistering form.
Stalybridge pulled a goal back in the 67th minute. Rather than lose momentum, United kicked on, bringing on Alejandro Garnacho, Isak Hansen-Aaroen, and Marc Jurado.
The team scored two late goals through substitute Alejandro Garnacho and then Noam Emeran.
This was a good confidence building win for a very young side. United’s line-up was packed with players who will all have aspirations of being with the first team for next pre-season. The team have now scored nine goals in two games.
United’s under-23s beat Hibernian under-23s 4-0 at the weekend with Omari Forson, Charlie McNeill, Dillon Hoogewerf and Charlie McCann on the scoresheet.
A part of history
Stalybridge Celtic unveiled a plaque for former player Bert Whalley, who also represented Manchester United.
Whalley was working as a coach under Sir Matt Busby when he tragically died in the Munich air disaster.
Bryan Robson was in attendance for the unveiling of the plaque to commemorate him, while United’s young players, joined by Paul McShane, also paid their respects.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars