Manchester United under 18s and under 23s win pre-season friendly matches
Manchester United’s academy teams are quietly preparing for the upcoming season.
The under-18s and under-23s have been on a training camp in Scotland over the past week.
They both played pre-season friendly matches and recorded victories in both.
United’s under-18s took on Hearts’ academy side and won 3-0. Finley McAllister, Ethan Williams and Manni Norkett scored the goals.
McAllister and Williams are typically part of the under-16s, while Norkett was among 11 young players named who will be stepping up to under-18 level this coming season. McAllister is also one keep track of as he featured in the league once for the under-18s last season at just 14-years-old.
With several under-23 players bumped up to the first team, the knock on effect is younger players are getting chances to step up an age group in pre-season too.
The side was captained by Marc Jurado, who signed from Barcelona last year. Jurado expressed how proud he was to captain the side with a post on Instagram. The right-back has already made his under-23 debut and could feature for both sides over the upcoming campaign.
Manchester United’s under-23 team took on Hibernian’s under-23s at the weekend.
The team recorded a 4-1 victory. Omari Forson, Charlie McNeill (penalty), Dillon Hoogewerf and Charlie McCann were on the scoresheet.
Forson’s goal was the pick of the bunch. Hibernian’s website reported: “Forson picked the ball up 25-yards out and curled a terrific effort into the top corner with his left-foot.”
The young attacker starred at the end of the season after stepping up to the under-23s and is a player to watch this coming campaign.
Isak Hansen-Aaroen featured in midfield for United and came close to scoring a free-kick.
United’s under-23s are in action as soon as this Tuesday night at 7.45pm against Stalybridge Celtic. Remember this is essentially last season’s under-18s side due to the players currently with the first team squad like Ethan Galbraith, Shola Shoretire and Hannibal.
It is possible one or two could feature if they are not likely to be used the following night at Old Trafford against Brentford.
A special plaque will be unveiled at the match in honour of former coach Bert Whalley. He was a coach who lost his life in the Munich air disaster and in his playing career he represented both United and Stalybridge Celtic.
- Star is Manchester United's next in line to replace Ronaldo, and there's a big question
- 19-year-old has reportedly impressed Erik ten Hag in Manchester United training
- Manchester United target says he is 'just like' Ballon d'Or winner, learned everything from Ten Hag
- Manchester United have already brought in the perfect person to deal with Ronaldo exit
- Anthony Martial gives three-word verdict on training under Erik ten Hag
- Romano says 'priority' Manchester United target has told club he wants to leave
- 'This can't be'… Gary Neville gives verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to leave Manchester United
- Photos: Bruno Fernandes and Facundo Pellistri enjoy first Manchester United training session
- UEFA Conference League side hoping to re-sign Manchester United midfielder
- Manchester United midfielder given extra time off before returning for pre-season