Manchester United’s players were in action during the final matchday of the international break. Here is a look at how they fared…
Sweden suffer shock defeat
Victor Lindelof had led Sweden to a big win over Spain last week in the World Cup qualifiers. The good work from that result was undone last night.
Sweden lost 2-1 away to Greece, a result which has opened up the qualifying group.
Greece are now just three points behind Sweden, while Spain sit top, four points ahead, having played two games more. A win for Sweden would have put them in a commanding position.
After a goalless first half, Greece took control and moved into a 2-0 lead. Sweden pulled one back, but could not find an equaliser.
Lindelof was Sweden’s captain and will be disappointed at the loss. He won four duels and lost four. This weekend he is likely to be back on United’s bench, with Raphael Varane in his place.
England held in Poland
England had been heading for victory against Poland until the hosts grabbed a 92nd minute equaliser.
Harry Maguire had won his personal battle against Robert Lewandowski, largely keeping the prolific Pole quiet.
However, in injury time, Lewandowski drifted away from Maguire to the other side of the box and played a cross over Maguire.
Damian Szymanski scored the header, outjumping United left-back Luke Shaw, who will feel he should have done better.
England are still in a strong position to qualify for the World Cup, still sitting top of the group.
Harry Kane scored England’s goal, while Maguire had hit the woodwork with a header earlier in the game.
David de Gea was once again an unused substitute for Spain in a 2-0 win over Kosovo.
Wales also left Dylan Levitt on the bench in their 0-0 draw at home to Estonia. The midfielder is currently on loan at Dundee United
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 5-0 to Liverpool
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United’s meltdown v Liverpool
- Solskjaer issues fitness update on Varane and Martial
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Loanee Ethan Galbraith impresses with assist in rare win