Edinson Cavani inspired Manchester United’s stunning comeback at Southampton on Sunday.
The Uruguayan added a huge threat in the penalty area after his half time introduction, scoring twice and laying on Bruno Fernandes for his goal too.
On Sky Sports Monday Night Football, United legend Gary Neville ran the rule over Cavani’s movement.
He shared that he’d spotted Cavani’s front post runs when he was working with England ahead of facing Uruguay at the 2014 World Cup, and underlined the benefit of the fact he makes them constantly.
“Cavani is one of the best and has been for years – we played against him with England – at making that run in and around the near post,” said Neville.
“He does it all the time. He’s always there, making that movement across defenders. As it comes to Fernandes, United have got four players in this area but the one who’s on the move is the goalscorer.
“The one with the instinct. He really fancied it. As he runs in there, I think he’s one of the very, very best at that. Sir Alex Ferguson always used to say a striker must get across the front post. He is the best at it.”
Neville also looked at Cavani’s debut against Chelsea, saying: “This is his first touch in English football.
“He goes across the near post, which he will do every single time. You know it’s coming but whether you can stop it is another problem.”
The years of experience Cavani has under his belt as an elite goalscorer are clear for all to see already.
As Neville points out, he always makes runs into areas where chances will come.
It’s interesting to hear him say defenders will know what’s coming, but will still find it hard to stop – that bodes very well for United.
He’s the most dangerous forward at the club on current form. He gets in position for the simple goals in a way Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood are yet to master.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news