David de Gea made a terrific diving save to keep Manchester United in the game late against Young Boys.
Unfortunately minutes later a weak Jesse Lingard backpass let in the Swiss side for a late winner, which De Gea was unable to save.
The Spaniard has been one of United’s best players this season and he was the first to front up on social media after the defeat.
De Gea’s message was followed up by club captain Harry Maguire.
Maguire’s message amounted to a ‘don’t panic’ call, reflecting on the five remaining games for United to turn the situation around.
Words can’t console disappointment
This is not a criticism of De Gea, but ‘we go again’ feels like a kind of meaningless, standard comment which players trot out after a defeat.
It was good of the goalkeeper and Maguire to speak up so quickly after the loss, which has punctured much of the positivity around the club.
Cristiano Ronaldo had set United on course to victory with a 13th minute opener.
Then Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s naive red card for a bad tackle turned the game on it’s head.
United still should have been able to see out the game and secure at least a draw, but a series of perplexing substitutions invited pressure on the defence.
United’s next game is against Villarreal at Old Trafford, a side United have a poor record against. That match has become an absolute must-win.
- Solskjaer comments on Edinson Cavani’s fitness
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break