It is just over 16 years since David Beckham left Manchester United to sign with Real Madrid.
And still despite a few flashes of set piece brilliance from Cristiano Ronaldo, Juan Mata, and Bruno Fernandes, Manchester United have not had a free-kick or corner taker as good as ‘Becks’ and may never do so again.
Beckham busies his time now as owner of MLS side Inter Miami, and he hit the training pitch on Wednesday, attempting to show he has still got it.
The United hero of course does not look 46-years-old, and appears in great match shape as he joked about a potential comeback, while using his trademark pose before striking the ball with an arm outstretched.
Inter Miami and current manager Phil Neville may need him. They sit 12th our of 14 teams in the MLS Eastern Conference.
This week also marked the 25-year anniversary of Beckham’s halfway line goal against Wimbledon, which rocket-propelled his route to superstardom.
United supporters last saw Beckham at Old Trafford two years ago in the Treble reunion game.
Even in that game he was by far away the best set piece taker, not just on show, but in comparison to the squad at the time.
Beckham still pays close attention to United, celebrating the team’s win over City, and he also stepped in and spoke out against the Super League plans earlier this year, helping to kill off the ill-conceived Glazer backed project.
United’s new attacking signing Jadon Sancho hopes to follow in Beckham’s footsteps at United.
Earlier this year he equalled Beckham’s 20 year record of becoming the only Englishman in Europe’s top five leagues to provide 10 plus assists in three consecutive seasons. Let’s hope he makes it four.
- Rangnick gives further clues on how Manchester United will line-up, wants to see youngsters
- Ralf Rangnick says Manchester United veteran is not under first team consideration
- 4-2-2-2: Predicted Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Amad and Elanga to start
- 'He never had that'… Rio Ferdinand explains why Rangnick will turn Manchester United star into a top player
- Manchester United wonderkid rated highly by Bruno Fernandes and has 20 goals in 2021
- Ralf Rangnick responds when asked if Manchester United can win the Champions League
- Rangnick says returning Manchester United duo unlikely to feature against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick disappointed by Manchester United FA Cup draw against Aston Villa
- Nemanja Matic claims two 'important' Manchester United teammates don't get enough praise
- Photos: Raphael Varane and Edinson Cavani pictured back in Manchester United training
- Rio Ferdinand thinks 24-year-old faces 'big fight' getting into Rangnick's Manchester United side
- Rangnick rules injured Manchester United star out of Young Boys and Norwich games
- Ralf Rangnick confirms the arrival of two new Manchester United staff members
- Rangnick confirms 2 players who will start for Manchester United against Young Boys
- Manchester United get quadruple injury boost ahead of Young Boys clash