After his perfect start to the season with a hat-trick last weekend, Bruno Fernandes was always unlikely to match it in the second game.
Unfortunately he got nowhere near, with a disappointing display against Southampton.
Nothing Fernandes tried came off, with a free-kick hitting the wall, and while he created two chances, it was not one of his better games.
He was bundled off the ball in the lead-up to Southampton’s goal, and while it could have been awarded a free-kick against him, it was also lazy play from the United star.
The one positive for Fernandes was his role in United’s equaliser, exchanging passes with Paul Pogba inside the penalty area before the Frenchman laid on the assist for Mason Greenwood to score.
Fernandes acknowledges the 1-1 scoreline was an underwhelming result and says United will have a reaction next weekend at Wolves.
United’s game at Molineux is the last one before the international break and a win would be a good way to sign off.
Wolves have had a tough start to the season under new boss Bruno Lage, beaten 1-0 by Tottenham today and 1-0 by Leicester City the week before.
Fernandes’ words are encouraging to hear after a poor performance, but he needs to back them up with an improved display next Sunday.
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports
- Ralf Rangnick’s comments bring cause for concern for Luke Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises ‘terrific’ Jadon Sancho in press conference
- Manchester United predicted line-up v Chelsea
- German football expert predicts that Sancho will be perfect for Rangnick
- Thomas Tuchel gives his verdict on Ralf Rangnick managing United
- Jurgen Klopp gives his verdict on Manchester United hiring Ralf Rangnick