Ethan Laird comments after sealing Swansea loan deal
Ethan Laird has become the ninth player to leave Manchester United on loan this summer.
Laird, 20, has joined Swansea City on a season long loan deal, the club announced.
Laird told Swansea’s website he was thrilled to make the move to the Championship club.
The defender said: “I am buzzing, I cannot wait to get started and get out on the pitch. I am buzzing, I cannot wait to get started and get out on the pitch.”
This is Laird’s second loan spell and he will be working under the same manager who took him on loan at MK Dons in the second half of last season.
Laird says that working with the newly appointed Russell Martin was a key factor in his move.
He said: “I also love working with Russell and I just know he can get the best out of me. The big thing about him is trust. When I came in from United, he told me exactly how it was straight away.
“I just learnt so much in that short amount of time, it was unbelievable so I knew if I worked with him again, I could continue to improve and develop.
“I love the style of play. I think it is the best way to play football, it is entertaining, and it is how you want to see your team play, getting those passes in. That’s what I enjoy and that’s why I am here.”
Good test ahead
Laird joined MK Dons in January with questions over how he would hold up playing regular football. He has had bad luck with injuries in United’s academy and senior football was a good test.
He rose to the challenge, making 25 appearances over the second half of the season for MK Dons, playing at right wing-back, and he provided four assists.
Now the step up to the Championship is the type of challenge Laird needs, and it will be fascinating to see how he fares.
Swansea have had a tricky start to their campaign, drawing one and losing one of their opening two league matches. Laird will hope to be involved tomorrow night when they take on Stoke City.
Laird was unlucky to miss out on Manchester United’s pre-season training camp due to injury. United had a spot at right-back open for the first friendly, with midfielder Ethan Galbraith having to fill in at the position when he was brought off the bench.
Laird did feature in a recent friendly with Kidderminster for United’s under-23s, and he impressed, playing a part in the opening goal.
Now he gets a chance to take his talents back to a competitive level, and he will hope to return to United next summer ready to challenge for the first team.
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager
- 82 Touches, 4 Interceptions: Manchester United teenager Ten Hag admires seizes chance
- Impressive Manchester United loanee provides assist v league leaders, Red Devils teammate hooked after 58 minutes
- Manchester United took a step forward under Ten Hag at the weekend, if you look closely enough
- Report: Manchester United have second chance to sign Haaland Mk II
- Garnacho scores late winner and Pellistri starts as Manchester United u21s beat Barrow
- Former Manchester United prospect who played alongside World Cup winner joins new club
- Manchester United winger now excited to work with 'good coach' Erik ten Hag
- Report: Ten Hag expected to hand Manchester United ace first PL start of season against Everton
- Manchester United loanee's World Cup hopes receive double boost in matter of days
- 'Going to be some footballer': Manager explains how 'supremely talented' Manchester United loanee can hit the top
- Report: Erik ten Hag allowed two fuming Manchester United stars to lead half-time rant at Etihad
- 'Man United are delighted'… Manager says loanee's performances are being noted at Old Trafford
- 'He is the future': Manager raves about 'excellent' Manchester United loanee after securing first win