West Ham's Michail Antonio suspended for Manchester United clash
Manchester United have received a boost for next week’s Premier League game away to West Ham.
Hammers forward Michail Antonio was sent off in their 0-0 draw away at Southampton.
This means Antonio will be suspended for West Ham’s home game against Manchester United next Sunday.
Antonio was just named the Premier League player of the month for August, edging out Mason Greenwood in the votes.
The forward had scored four goals in his first four Premier League games to start the season, beginning the campaign in terrific form, also supplying three assists.
West Ham are fairly weak on striker cover for Antonio and this suspension seriously damages their chances of getting a result over United next weekend.
A normally tough away game at the London Stadium may have got a little easier for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
Antonio’s sending off was a result of two bookings. While this means it won’t be overturned, it does mean he will just be suspended for one match.
This means Antonio will be available to start at Old Trafford in the Carabao Cup match days after the Premier League game.
The match is likely to pit him against United’s second choice backline of Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly, rather than Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof.
If they were hoping for an easier game against West Ham’s back-up forwards, they are unlikely to get one, with Antonio now expected to start that cup fixture.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager
- 82 Touches, 4 Interceptions: Manchester United teenager Ten Hag admires seizes chance
- Impressive Manchester United loanee provides assist v league leaders, Red Devils teammate hooked after 58 minutes
- Manchester United took a step forward under Ten Hag at the weekend, if you look closely enough
- Report: Manchester United have second chance to sign Haaland Mk II
- Garnacho scores late winner and Pellistri starts as Manchester United u21s beat Barrow