Van de Beek and Maguire performances embarrass Solskjaer for different reasons
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears set to pay for the Watford defeat with his job. The MEN reports he is to be fired.
A terrible performance against Watford heightened the pressure on the manager.
Solskjaer had promised a response after the previous defeat to Manchester City, and he did not get one.
Instead he was left embarrassed by the way the result went, and by two players in particular, for different reasons…
Maguire let him down
Manchester United’s captain Harry Maguire is supposed to lead and represent the team on the pitch. He is faltering right now.
Maguire was terrible and the way he picked up two quick yellow cards in the second half summed him up.
It’s a shame he can’t play Albania and San Marino in the Premier League.
Maguire is now suspended for United’s next Premier League fixture against Chelsea next week.
He let his team down and he let his manager down, and embarrassed him with a flat performance.
Maguire does not deserve to keep the captaincy on the basis of the past few weeks.
Van de Beek showed him up
Donny van de Beek took just four minutes to score in the second half after coming on at half-time.
Van de Beek had played just 16 minutes of Premier League football all season before this.
The Dutchman was lively and was Manchester United’s best player for the next 45 minutes.
Van de Beek created three chances, more than any Manchester United player on the pitch.
His performance rightly asked of Solskjaer, quite why he had been overlooked for so long?
There has never been any justification for Solskjaer omitting Van de Beek like he has done, and his performance highlighted how badly he has been mismanaged.
It will be a cruel twist for Solskjaer to have Van de Beek score the last goal of his reign.
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee
- 'New Neymar' is the player Manchester United should be signing this summer
- Picture: De Jong mocked up in Manchester United kit by Spanish press as Red Devils' deal deadline suggested
- 'Ten Hag will get his man': Ornstein backs Manchester United to get important double deal done
- Romano says Manchester United target's agents are asking club to consider offers with 'Ten Hag pushing'
- Stars who have played for Manchester United and Watford amid Bachmann links; including 3 strikers