United fans love picture of Mike Phelan laughing as Steven Gerrard fumes
What does Mike Phelan do at Manchester United? It is the question many fans have been wondering since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna all left the club.
The answer became clear last night. Phelan is at Old Trafford to laugh at Steven Gerrard.
This perfect image emerged on social media of a hacked off looking Gerrard with Phelan cracking a big laugh in the background.
90 minutes of anti-Gerrard chants
This was Steven Gerrard’s first visit to Old Trafford since he retired. The Aston Villa boss’ return was not a happy one.
Manchester United supporters spent 90 minutes signing about his famous 2014 slip which cost Liverpool the Premier League title, along with a few chants not fit to print.
Gerrard’s mood worsened by Aston Villa being denied two goals by officials, including one after a three minute delay.
The opposing boss was clearly rattled after the game as he tried to take a dig at the Old Trafford crowd for not being loud enough, insisting it did not get to him, while at the same time showing it did.
Gerrard told The Standard: “It was a good cup tie, a good atmosphere but in terms of what I got, water off a duck’s back.”
United visit Villa Park at the weekend, where the away fans will look for an encore. We hope to see Mike Phelan in similarly jovial mood if United battle to another victory.
The 1-0 win came courtesy of a Scott McTominay header in the first half and United really had to scrap to earn the victory.
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances
- Cristiano Ronaldo sets new Manchester United club record and sends message to fans
- 3 reasons Manchester United should not sign Frenkie de Jong, and 3 reasons a deal could be a big success
- 'Big transfers'… Ten Hag says Ajax could cash in on star players including Antony and Timber and raise £100 million
- Paul Pogba sends message to Manchester United's FA Youth Cup stars
- Manchester United's incredible potential XI under Ten Hag with 5 new signings including De Jong and Nunez