United fans love picture of Mike Phelan laughing as Steven Gerrard fumes
What does Mike Phelan do at Manchester United? It is the question many fans have been wondering since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna all left the club.
The answer became clear last night. Phelan is at Old Trafford to laugh at Steven Gerrard.
This perfect image emerged on social media of a hacked off looking Gerrard with Phelan cracking a big laugh in the background.
90 minutes of anti-Gerrard chants
This was Steven Gerrard’s first visit to Old Trafford since he retired. The Aston Villa boss’ return was not a happy one.
Manchester United supporters spent 90 minutes signing about his famous 2014 slip which cost Liverpool the Premier League title, along with a few chants not fit to print.
Gerrard’s mood worsened by Aston Villa being denied two goals by officials, including one after a three minute delay.
The opposing boss was clearly rattled after the game as he tried to take a dig at the Old Trafford crowd for not being loud enough, insisting it did not get to him, while at the same time showing it did.
Gerrard told The Standard: “It was a good cup tie, a good atmosphere but in terms of what I got, water off a duck’s back.”
United visit Villa Park at the weekend, where the away fans will look for an encore. We hope to see Mike Phelan in similarly jovial mood if United battle to another victory.
The 1-0 win came courtesy of a Scott McTominay header in the first half and United really had to scrap to earn the victory.
- What channel is Manchester City v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United's 5 best wins against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v City, Ten Hag picks attacker for first start this season
- 17-year-old Manchester United talent scores twice in thumping 6-1 Under-18s win
- Reports: Frenkie de Jong alternative Manchester United tried to sign before Casemiro is now available for £39m
- Manchester United star ranks as Premier League's strongest player on FIFA 23 ahead of Erling Haaland
- Report: Erik ten Hag already weighing up summer swoop to bring 'unbelievable' player to Manchester United
- Report: Lisandro Martinez has now spoken multiple times with his idol about how to succeed at Manchester United
- 3 reasons why Manchester United's in-form 22-year-old will be desperate to grab derby day headlines
- Ten Hag's chosen role for Eriksen has already defeated Guardiola's City