Three potential Edinson Cavani replacements for Manchester United to sign in 2022
Manchester United kept hold of Edinson Cavani in the summer despite moving to bring back Cristiano Ronaldo. When the pair have been able to play together, the duo have formed a devastating partnership.
Cavani’s fitness problems have remained an issue all season. At 34, the Uruguayan is not a player United can rely upon any longer.
Ronaldo is not Cavani’s replacement either. United need a long term solution at centre-forward.
This is likely to swing into focus next summer after Cavani’s contract expires.
Here is a look at three exciting strikers United could and should be targeting as Cavani’s replacement…
Erling Haaland is Europe’s most in-demand striker. He stuck around at Dortmund last summer, and will not be pleased by their failure to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages.
There will be intense competition for his signature, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Real Madrid all battling it out with United for the Norwegian.
United may have lost Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but this trump card did not work in 2020. And interim boss and consultant Ralf Rangnick may prove to be a superior ace in the pack, having helped bring the striker to Salzburg in 2019.
Rangnick is on record praising Haaland and says the striker fits his style of play – which will likely be adapted by United’s next boss.
Haaland is also a huge fan of Cristiano Ronaldo, and the forward’s presence is unlikely to deter him from a move to United.
Dusan Vlahovic is providing Haaland with strong competition in the race to become Europe’s most wanted.
The Fiorentina forward has been in prolific form this season, after netting 21 times last campaign.
The Mail reported last month that United have sent scouts to check in on the forward, who would cost around £70 million.
Vlahovic is still only 21 and is expected to become an even bigger star at next year’s World Cup after leading Serbia to qualification.
The striker’s contract at Fiorentina runs out in June 2023, which means he is likely to move on next summer – if not this coming January.
Canadian striker Jonathan David caught the eye at Gent as a teenager. The Mail reported United had been scouting him in early 2020.
He ended up signing for Lille, with United favouring Cavani’s experience over the promise of youth.
This strategy is likely to change with Rangnick’s arrival, who wants to build his teams around young, talented players, rather than ageing stars.
David would also be cheaper than both Haaland and Vlahovic and represent a smarter investment.
After scoring 13 times last season, David has been in even more prolific form this campaign, netting 12 times before December had even started.
David is only 21-years-old and his next stop after Lille is likely to see him become a superstar.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager
- 82 Touches, 4 Interceptions: Manchester United teenager Ten Hag admires seizes chance