Ralf Rangnick said Erling Haaland fits his style of play
One of the top assets Ralf Rangnick will bring to Manchester United is his eye for a player in the transfer market. The German was confirmed as interim boss earlier today.
Rangnick helped oversee the transfer of Erling Haaland to Red Bull Salzburg in 2019, with the Austrian side snapping him up from Molde before bigger clubs took the plunge.
Rangnick expressed regret that RB Leipzig were unable to win the race to transfer Haaland in 2020, with the headstrong striker choosing to sign with Borussia Dortmund.
Manchester United also missed out at that time, and now heading into 2022, there is a possibility the striker will be on the move again next year.
Rangnick expressed admiration for Haaland in 2020, lamenting that he did not sign with RB Leipzig.
The incoming Manchester United interim boss told German outlet MDR, “He would have suited us, our team and our style of play.”
In a separate interview with The Athletic, Rangnick added: “Erling Haaland is sensational.”
He also told Sky Sports: “Erling is one of my favourite players and he will be the benchmark for central strikers for the next 10 to 15 years. He combines almost all the assets that you need as a striker.
“He’s 193cm tall, he’s extremely fast and he’s good on the ball. He can control and defend the ball and can be the link between the midfielders and the rest of the forwards. He’s extremely dangerous in front of goal, he’s good in the air and he’s got a top mentality as well.”
Haaland to United: Time to try again?
Haaland has enjoyed a strong season aside from a recent injury, which he has just returned from. He has scored 14 goals in 11 games, 10 in 7 Bundesliga matches.
The striker will no doubt be disappointed by Dortmund’s elimination from the Champions League, and speculatively, we would suggest this could hasten his desire to move on.
Haaland has a release clause in his contract at around £64 million, The Mail report.
Several top clubs are interested and United will remain so, especially with the club looking for a replacement for Edinson Cavani, whose contract is set to expire in the summer.
Rangnick is going to be looking to sign players who can make an impact for years to come, and Haaland fits the bill. He won’t be recommending short-term solutions.
The interim boss will be looking to implement a specific style of play at United, and he will have a hand in hiring his eventual successor, with an eye on continuity.
His previous experience with Haaland could give United a bit of a boost, although there are clearly no guarantees. The striker will make up his own mind.
What his comments do show, is that United are likely going to be in the hunt for the powerhouse striker, and will look into the possibility of securing his signature in 2022.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season