Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised Raphael Varane for his near perfect debut for Manchester United.
The France international helped United keep a first clean sheet in 11 matches, with a 1-0 win over Wolves.
Solskjaer told the club website: “This was ‘welcome to the Premier League’ – tempo, hustle bustle, tackle, have to defend counter attacks.
“Top, top performance. He’s good in the air, he’s so composed on the ball and he’s so experienced and nothing phases him.”
“He was good in the dressing room before the game, half-time and so I’m delighted with his performance. I thought he showed his class.”
Varane helped United get through a very tough game with Wolves the better team for long stretches.
He will have been impressed by his defensive teammates, with David de Gea pulling off an outstanding save and Aaron Wan-Bissaka making a goal line clearance.
David de Gea appreciates him
De Gea explained after the game that he was happy to have Varane in front of him.
Over the years De Gea has played behind a lot of centre-backs for United, and Varane is the most illustrious of all.
De Gea told the club website: “He’s a great lad, I think he’s good for the group. Very experienced centre back. Many, many games and I think he showed today he’s calm with the ball, he’s good in the air, he’s very quick, so a great defender – a great signing for us.”
Varane’s partnership with Harry Maguire looked to have promise, and it has started out on a high note, with a clean sheet. It will be the first of many.
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys
- Robbie Savage's reaction as son Charlie comes on to make Manchester United debut
- 5 things learned as Manchester United draw 1-1 against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes
- Zidane Iqbal: The Manchester United teenager with an eye for a spectacular goal
- Has Cristiano Ronaldo ever scored in all six Champions League group games before?
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man
- Wagner highlights challenges of facing Rangnick's Manchester United