Jadon Sancho has given his first in-depth interview as a Manchester United player to the club website.
We can’t wait to see the England international doing what he does best in the famous red shirt at Old Trafford.
He was asked about former players who have inspired him and helped him shape his game.
And Sancho named Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, who lit up Old Trafford during the Sir Alex Ferguson era.
When asked who his influences and role models were, Sancho said: “Ronaldinho and obviously Wayne Rooney for England – those two are very iconic and great role models.
He was also asked whether there was a former United star he’s modeled his game on and said: “Everyone’s different and I’ve got different attributes to all the other players, but obviously Cristiano Ronaldo.
“What he’s done in his career is a fantastic thing – where he started at Sporting and then he came to Manchester. So it’s always good to see that all these iconic players have come through an iconic club.”
“Growing up, Manchester United was one of the biggest clubs and there is also all the trophies they’ve won. There have been many iconic players that have come before me. So I’m very happy to be wearing this jersey now.”
As Sancho said, he’s a different player to Ronaldo, Rooney or Ronaldinho with different skills.
He might have to wait to take over the number seven Ronaldo wore with such distinction.
Edinson Cavani is the current incumbent. Number 16 has apparently been lined up for Sancho but there has been no confirmation either way yet.
It’s time for United to start writing their own history in the post-Ferguson era and Sancho has the quality to be a huge part of that.
Jadon Sancho: Why Manchester United signed him
- Sancho had a prolific 2019/20 season
Sancho ended the season with 20 goals and 18 assists, finishing as Dortmund’s top goalscorer.
- Creative star setting assist records
Sancho provided 16 Bundesliga assists this season. This was the most recorded by a Dortmund player since 2004/05.
- Sancho became the youngest ever player in the Bundesliga to score 15 goals
He set this record in his first season, breaking a record which had stood since 1967.
- Sancho has 34 first team goals for Dortmund
This is more goals at the age of 20 than either Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi had scored in their careers.
- Gets better as games go on
14 of Sancho’s 17 Bundesliga goals this season were scored in the second half of matches as he wore opponents down, along with 12 of his assists.
- Manchester United stars including Ronaldo respond to Bruno Fernandes
- Teammates react to 17-year-old’s three assists with Ronaldo comments
- Ethan Laird is one of the Championship’s best dribblers
- Greenwood petrified Villa but he lacked composure at crucial moments
- Varane leadership crucial ahead of first United Champions League start
- Villarreal top striker misses Real Madrid game ahead of United clash
- One bittersweet positive from a terrible day for Manchester United
- 55 shots in two games and 0 goals: Three reasons it’s going wrong for Manchester United
- Bruno Fernandes creates 10 chances in one game: Positives despite penalty miss
- Three changes to Manchester United’s back four looking likely for Villarreal clash