Sancho and Varane won't be starters against Leeds, Solskjaer suggests
Ole Gunnar has confirmed what Manchester United fans suspected. Neither Raphael Varane or Jadon Sancho will be ready to start against Leeds.
This was not what anybody wanted. But it has felt inevitable due to the situation which has unfolded over the past week.
Sancho’s move to United was confirmed on July 23 and Varane’s move days later. But none of the two players will be ready.
Sancho has not yet trained with the first team and Varane only reportedly flew into Manchester tonight.
Speaking to ESPN, Solskjaer said: “They still haven’t trained with us, and I need to see how they are. I can’t see them being available for Everton [this weekend], but hopefully they will be ready to be on the bench [against Leeds].”
Substitutes at best
Barring a miraculous turnaround, Solskjaer’s current projection looks about right. United can’t throw players in without a pre-season.
Sancho’s failure to return yet is frustrating because England teammates Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire have done.
Of course there could be various reasons for the delay, including Covid, and or a lengthy requirement to quarantine after holiday in the Caribbean.
Either way it is hugely frustrating. United fans hoped to see him in action in the pre-season friendly against Everton on Saturday and that will not happen.
At best he will have to settle for a cameo role against Leeds from the bench, it seems, which is a blow for United with Marcus Rashford also out with injury.
Sancho could turn it all around and prove his fitness next week, but Solskjaer appears quite accepting of the reality that it will be unlikely.
The Varane move has been held up more by paperwork. The MEN report United hope to unveil him by Wednesday.
He will be available to face Leeds, but Solskjaer won’t be expecting him to play a starting role, which seems fair. The Frenchman can try and change his mind in the few training sessions he will get ahead of the game.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager