Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to Manchester United is almost complete. The star passed a medical at the weekend.
One of the big questions remaining over the deal is which squad number Ronaldo will get.
All will be revealed shortly, of course, but in the meantime we can piece the puzzle together.
The objective for United and Ronaldo is for the star to get the number 7 shirt.
CR7 is synonymous with Ronaldo’s brand, and he has worn the shirt throughout his career, apart from one short spell at Real Madrid where he wore the 9 shirt, before taking up 7 when it became available.
There have been conflicting reports on whether Ronaldo would get the 7, would even be allowed to, and what that means for Edinson Cavani.
Premier League drop hint 7 could be possible
The Premier League website is a little confusing on the matter. The site lists Cavani as United’s number 7.
But it also officially confirms Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to Manchester United, except he is also registered as the club’s number 7.
This at least suggests the number 7 shirt could be an option for United wth Ronaldo.
So where then, for Edinson Cavani? Helpfully a squad number may just be opening up…
James exit and Cavani to 21?
Wales winger Dan James is closing in on a departure from Manchester United, with Leeds keen.
The Athletic report James is set to make a permanent move to Leeds for £25 million, a fee which is too good for United to turn down for a squad player.
James occupies the number 21 for United, and this would be freed up for Cavani.
This isn’t just any old number for Cavani. 21 is the squad number Cavani has worn for Uruguay since 2011, the one he has worn at major tournaments.
Cavani will appreciate the sentimental value of 7 to Ronaldo and the connection the superstar has with the club. It makes sense for him to step aside.
Pictures of the pair at the 2018 World Cup even shows Ronaldo in 7 and Cavani in 21.
This is a likely look at what lies ahead at Manchester United, once James’ exit is confirmed and Ronaldo’s arrival totally sealed.
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation
- Three quick fix signings Manchester United could make in January to get back on track
- Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo
- Is a diamond formation the solution to Manchester United’s problems?
- Manchester United youngster Malachi Sharpe scores on Scotland under-17 debut
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message as he looks to bounce back with Manchester United
- Five substitutes rule change would benefit Manchester United whoever is in charge
- Manchester City out of Carabao Cup: Did Manchester United miss out or have lucky escape?
- Three steps Solskjaer can take to avoid bowing out like Jose Mourinho
- Manchester United’s players pictured back in training
- Raphael Varane’s possible return would be Manchester United’s best case scenario
- A look at Antonio Conte’s record vs Manchester United
- Fred and McTominay stepped up for Solskjaer last season and he needs them to improve
- Josh Cavallo: Raphael Varane leads praise after Australian footballer comes out as gay