Robin van Persie has given Anthony Martial the thumbs up after finally breaking Manchester United’s run of seven years without a player scoring a hat-trick.
Martial bagged all three last night as the Red Devils beat Sheffield United 3-0.
Van Persie was the last player to do so, back in April 2013 against Aston Villa as we clinched the title.
He sent a message on social media praising Martial and expressing his happiness that a United player has finally done it.
It shouldn’t have taken this long
United supporters should not have had to wait this long to see a striker grab the bull by the horns and exert his dominance.
The club have poured considerable expense towards forwards, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez among the big name players who have tried and failed.
What is exciting about Martial is that he is now just scratching the surface of his potential. There is still so much more to come.
Martial is now up to 19 goals for the season. He needs to now really believe in himself and propel United forward in the same way Van Persie did in 2012/13.
Perhaps next season, with a few additions, this United side may be able to put together a title challenge.
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long
- Manchester United may have played a masterstroke over Chris Smalling