Raphael Varane is set to sign for Manchester United after a fee was agreed with Real Madrid.
Varane will make Old Trafford his home, and will be a regular at a stadium he last visited way back in 2013.
The night was a painful one for Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson and United supporters were left angrier than ever after a terrible refereeing decision sent Nani off for a high boot.
To this day it remains one of the worst ever decisions by a referee in a big European game Manchester United have been involved in.
The red card was made even more painful by the fact it was Sir Alex Ferguson’s last shot at winning another Champions League title.
Varane for his part, played immaculately over both legs of the knockout tie.
The French defender went up against Robin van Persie, who was in the form of his life.
The two teams drew 1-1 in Spain, with United defeated 2-1 at Old Trafford in the second leg.
Nani’s 56th minute red card came with United 2-1 up on aggregate, before Real won 3-2.
It is fascinating to look back at these photos because United’s team has broken apart in the years since. Varane is still playing at the top of his game and he will now be joining United.
With United’s home form slumping at times last season, bringing in a defender with happy memories of winning at Old Trafford can’t hurt.
Have a look through these old pictures of Varane starring against Sir Alex Ferguson’s last great team and take a trip down memory lane…
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?