Manchester United have wasted no time at all paying homage to Cristiano Ronaldo by adding him to the display at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo joins Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Raphael Varane and Bruno Fernandes among others, welcoming everybody attending Old Trafford.
Pogba’s notably missing
One star player notably missing from the display is Paul Pogba. Sure, you cannot fit everybody on, but Pogba is still the club’s record signing.
Pogba is viewed as, prior to Ronaldo, the club’s biggest commercial asset, and he is still a key player on the pitch.
But this is what happens when the player refuses to commit his future to the club.
Had Pogba agreed a new contract extension in July, he likely would have been front and centre of the grand display.
Pogba is not committing his future to United, so the club are not going above and beyond for him.
Perhaps there’s an argument to do it anyway. This kind of snub could be type of small irritation which could bug Pogba enough to take his talents elsewhere. But it seems United came to peace with that a while ago, and are good either way, whether he stays or goes.
Preferably, Pogba would stay. He is a big talent and leads the team after three games with five assists. There is still a chance he renews his deal.
The signing of Ronaldo gives him what he wants. A truly star-studded team able to compete for every single trophy, finally.
And there is hope for United of a different kind, with PSG’s actions speaking louder than words.
PSG making alternative plans
Paris Saint-Germain are the most likely suitors for Paul Pogba if his contract runs down. L’Equipe reported in July that PSG were keen and the midfielder was tempted by the move.
Nothing happened in the summer, but Pogba to PSG is still very possible, with his contract running down. Eduardo Camavinga signing with Real Madrid also removed one alternative from the equation.
Except PSG are already making new alternative midfield plans which do not involve Paul Pogba.
PSG have set their sights on AC Milan’s Franck Kessie, who like Pogba, has a contract which expires in 2022 and he also has not been willing to sign an extension.
Footmercato report PSG have already taken action by holding talks with Kessie and his agent.
PSG are also said to have made contact with AC Milan technical director Paolo Maldini, to signal their intent to bid in the January transfer window, allowing the Italian side to net a fee rather than losing Kessie on a free.
Their interest in Kessie and the action are taking, suggests they are not exactly highly confident that Pogba will be making a move to Paris.
Of course, on a free, PSG could afford to sign both. This is a club which signed Lionel Messi, after all. But do they really want to add too dominant central midfielders to their existing options, rather than keeping it simple with one?
This is well worth keeping an eye on, and if Pogba does sign a new deal with United over the coming weeks, then PSG’s interest in Kessie slots neatly into place.
David de Gea allowed his contract situation to reach the September before his deal expired, before signing his extension with United in 2019. With the transfer window closed, sitting down with Pogba should be United’s top priority.
And if he does sign, United will no doubt promise him a prominent spot on the Old Trafford frontage display.
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap