Bruno Fernandes was a late substitute as France and Portugal drew 2-2.
Both teams qualified for the Euro 2020 last 16, with France going through as group winners.
Fernandes embraced Paul Pogba at the end of the game as they both reflected on an eventful evening.
While Fernandes came on late in the game, his arrival was almost very impactful for the wrong reasons.
He was involved in a late penalty appeal after appearing to catch Kingsley Coman inside the penalty area.
Fernandes fumed at the Frenchman and had to be calmed down by teammate Pogba afterwards.
A penalty was not given, and Fernandes had a lucky escape. Pogba likely just told him to settle down as both sides were going through anyway, and the few minutes left after that incident went off like two teams playing for a draw.
Pogba had put in an outstanding performance, providing an assist for Karim Benzema’s first goal.
Fernandes was rested for the game after a disappointing start to the tournament. You can’t blame him, after a run of now 84 matches for club and country since football’s restart last June.
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be reflecting on whether he needs to play Fernandes so relentlessly next season. Less can be more, especially if his form is being impacted by the demands on him.
France will now face Switzerland in the last 16, while Portugal have a tough tie against Belgium. It will be interesting to see whether Fernandes is recalled to start for that one.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move