Paul Pogba was back to his best for France in an entertaining clash against Portugal.
The two sides drew 2-2, which mean both sides progressed to the knockout stage. Germany drew the other game with Hungary and will face England in the last 16.
In France’s game, Pogba was the star of the show. It was his perfectly timed slide pass forward which released Karim Benzema to score France’s opening goal.
Earlier in the game Pogba had played another incisive pass to Kylian Mbappe, who saw his shot saved by Rui Patricio.
In the mood
Just like in France’s opening game against Germany, Pogba was in the mood and at his best.
He touched the ball 104 times, the highest of any player on the pitch.
Pogba also managed to create three chances, the joint highest on the pitch along with Bernardo Silva for Portugal.
Of all his passes, Pogba completed 97 per cent of them, the best rate of any starting midfielder.
He mixed up his passes, short and long, and also had a little backheel flick in the late stages.
His performance was outstanding and saw Nigerian international Joe Aribo sum up how fellow professionals see the Frenchman.
France remain unbeaten with Pogba and Ngolo Kante in the starting line-up. This record stretches back more than 25 consecutive games.
The night was also notable for former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo scored two goals, both penalties, to equal Ali Daei’s all time international goalscoring record of 109. It is only a matter of time before he is out there on his own.
Ronaldo is the current Euro 2020 top scorer with four goals to his name.
Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot were both late substitutes for Portugal, who finished third in the group, enough to qualify.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad