Manchester United took a cautious approach for Sunday’s away fixture against Chelsea.
United came away with a 1-1 draw, and the result could easily have been a victory if not for a needlessly given away penalty in the second half.
Michael Carrick will remain in charge for Manchester United’s fixture with Arsenal, his first match as caretaker boss at Old Trafford.
His former United teammate Paul Scholes has encouraged Carrick to make one key selection change for the midweek clash with the Gunners.
Scholes was asked what United should do differently against Arsenal, and told Premier League Productions: “Play a centre forward for a start.
“Cristiano will play. The two wide players will probably play. Possibly play two midfield players instead of three of them, be more attacking.
“Arsenal are nowhere near the quality of Chelsea, nowhere near Liverpool, City.”
Scholes went onto suggest it would likely be Nemanja Matic who drops out of the starting line-up for Cristiano Ronaldo, rather than Bruno Fernandes.
Ronaldo looking to get back onto the scoresheet
Cristiano Ronaldo has not netted in the Premier League since Manchester United’s win over Tottenham.
He is on 799 career goals for club and country and will be looking to net his 800th against a team he haunted regularly during his previous spell at Manchester United.
Ronaldo’s omission from the starting line-up against Chelsea felt like a specific decision taken for a gameplan away at the league leaders, rather than any kind of verdict on him as a player.
The Portuguese star proved his quality in midweek with a finely taken goa to give United the lead at Villarreal. In five Champions League games he has six goals.
It is interesting to note that in United’s two games under Carrick, the duo of Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo have not been selected together as starters yet.
A home game at Old Trafford on Thursday may see that trend reverse, and the pair entrusted together to show what they can do. One way or another Scholes expects Ronaldo to start.
- Pictures: Pogba posts training update during break as Ronaldo joins another Manchester United teammate
- Scottish league champions set to sign Manchester United wonderkid on loan
- Two make debuts as Manchester United under-18s reach Premier League Cup quarter-finals
- 'Had conversations': £13m man admits to Manchester United talks
- 'Great player': Manchester United star urged to produce best form in World Cup qualifiers
- Bruno Fernandes training hard in Portugal during Manchester United time off
- Iraq international Zidane Iqbal says he is 'a proud Pakistani and Mancunian' too
- 4 matches which doomed Anthony Martial's Manchester United career, and a hated new teammate
- Manchester United get lifeline over incoming midfielder transfer deal before deadline
- Rangnick reportedly tells United star he can leave, club's 2019 demands go full circle
- 'Help him dream'… Manchester United have failed club legend over £35m star