Aurelien Tchouameni’s fantastic season for Monaco caught our attention.
During the summer we noted how the midfielder would be a perfect addition for Manchester United’s midfield.
United did not make a move for the talented midfielder, but fortunately no other club did either, and he remains available as a future option.
France boss Didier Deschamps has been paying attention to him at least, and so has Paul Pogba.
Deschamps selected Tchouameni to start for France against Ukraine on Saturday night alongside Pogba in midfield.
While the result was a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Anthony Martial grabbing a rare goal, Tchouameni made a good impression.
Pogba talks him up
Pogba spoke to broadcaster RTL after the game, quoted by Ouest-France: “Very very good. He’s not a boy, he’s a man.
“Pleasure to play next to him. He brings a lot of energy. A lot of energy, extraordinary technical and physical quality.
“We wish him to play lots of matches. and that I am always at his side.”
Tchouameni played 86 minutes, completing 96 per cent of his passes in midfield, while leading the team with three interceptions.
United must pay attention
A midfield addition would have been the icing on the cake for United’s transfer window. Many saw it as more of a necessity, which the club overlooked.
United are keeping their options open for next summer, even January.
While Declan Rice could be the club’s preferred option, his high price could make him prohibitive, with David Moyes on record via Sky Sports saying he would cost £100 million.
Tchouameni could cost just half that, and his progress should be tracked by the club. Now a France international, the 21-year-old could be a smart signing.
Pogba is impressed too, and seemingly enjoyed playing alongside him. If he re-signs his contract, great, but regardless, United’s midfield is in need of a makeover and Tchouameni would be a great fit.
- Director plays down ‘speculation’ over Manchester United talks with £80m ace
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘likes’ Manchester United star announcement
- Mason Mount best position: How he impacts Bruno Fernandes
- Early deal for £40m star is perfect way for Manchester United to approach striker dilemma
- The perfect player to solve Manchester United’s away record could be signed this summer
- Manchester United player coach hails ‘eye opening’ first season
- Manchester United target tells club he wants to go after Ten Hag talks
- Phil Jones shares FA Cup final plans after Manchester United release
- Manchester United Champions League pot for 2023/24, opponents, and teams we will avoid
- Manchester United discuss moves over £40m and £80m stars after Mount
- Thiago Silva reacts to Mason Mount to Manchester United developments
- Ian Wright says he expects Manchester United to challenge for title with one key signing
- Will Fish says goodbye to Hibernian after successful loan spell
- Manchester United target ‘finished’ at club, nominated as one of league’s top three midfielders
- Steve McClaren has been a big fan of Manchester United target Mason Mount for years