Nemanja Matic is starting to prepare for his return for Manchester United’s pre-season.
Matic retired from international football even before Serbia missed out on Euro 2020 qualification after a penalty shootout qualifying defeat to Scotland.
The United midfielder is one of the few first team players available to return to pre-season for the start of July. And he is getting ready for it.
Matic posted a training video running up and down a pitch in Serbia’s 36 degree heat. He wants to be in top shape for his return to Carrington.
Matic is not the only United player getting prepared for his return. Anthony Martial was pictured in a gym doing some exercises too. The Frenchman will also be expected back at the same time as Matic, and United will be keen to test his fitness after a knee injury prevented him from featuring at Euro 2020.
Midfield ace Matic, 32, has been using the off-season productively. He revealed last week how he has taken his UEFA B coaching license.
Hopefully Matic will still be able to spring a few surprises at United next season. If he stays.
He took a backwards step last season and defensive midfield is the position most Manchester United fans want the club to fix. At present there are no clear plans to do so.
Until that changes, Matic will be needed. It is good to see him pushing himself to improve and return at his best.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad