Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo has had mixed success since returning to Manchester United.
Ronaldo has scored six goals, but the team’s form has tanked and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job is in jeopardy.
But whatever you make of the short term and immediate impact Ronaldo has had, do not underestimate the long term good his presence at the club can do.
Ronaldo is an icon, arguably the world’s greatest player of all time. Officially he is the greatest international scorer ever.
For young players getting the chance to see Ronaldo at Carrington, it is huge, and his presence is inspiring.
Youngster Sonny Aljofree met Ronaldo yesterday and asked the Portugal star to pose for a picture, which he captioned, ‘idol’.
Who is Sonny Aljofree?
Sonny Aljofree is one of the newer players in Manchester United’s under-18s squad.
He was one of several to step up from the under-16s and recently bounced back from injury.
The 16-year-old centre-back has started two of the last three under-18 league games.
He has also featured in the Premier League Cup, starting against Wolves last weekend alongside Willy Kambwala.
Sonny Aljofree is the son of former footballer Hasney Aljofree, who himself began his career in Manchester United’s academy in the mid-90s.
Aljofree Sr. went on to play for Dundee United, Plymouth Argyle, Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon Town and Oldham Athletic before retiring in 2010.
- Ten Hag is 'perfect match' for Manchester United, says ex-Ajax star
- United legends Andy Cole and Rio Ferdinand react as Benzema dumps City out of the Champions League
- Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe explains why he is not bidding to buy Manchester United from the Glazers
- Manchester United star has 'no interest' in talking to Erik ten Hag
- Photos: 20-year-old in Manchester United training despite being out on loan, Maguire returns
- Photo: Leaked picture shows new Manchester United home kit for 2022/23
- Forget Lingard: These three Manchester United stars may have been denied Old Trafford farewells too
- Big money Manchester United star has been in hospital, says Rangnick
- Did Juan Mata share a pitch with his replacement on his final Manchester United home game?