Heading into the transfer window, Manchester United’s top objective was to sign Jadon Sancho.
United do not have a proper right winger and have not had one since Antonio Valencia was re-deployed to full-back, and subsequently released.
Mason Greenwood has been filling in there, but his long term position will be as a striker.
So Sancho was the top option – but even then, he would not have totally alone fixed the problem.
One injury to Sancho and United would have been back to square one.
It was important for United to add depth at the position too, and that’s what the club have done with moves for 18-year-olds Facundo Pellistri and Amad Traore Diallo.
Take the positives?
Perhaps it was just expecting too much for United to complete such an overhaul of the position in one summer.
It would have been preferable to sign the player we need now, and fill in the future spots later.
Nonetheless, we are where we are, and United have two top young talents, who have the opportunity to quickly progress if they are capable.
Even if it takes until January for Pellistri to get up to speed as well, from 2021, they have an opening in the first team to find their way.
A senior winger will sign
United will eventually sign a more senior, ‘ready now’ winger. United can’t continue to ignore this position.
When that player does join, whether it be Sancho, or anybody else, their task will be made easier by having proper competition and back-up.
If Sancho came in this summer, he would have been expected to play 45-50 games over the course of the season.
Whoever is the main winger signed next year, can be used more sparingly, around 30-35 games, with United’s extra options allowing proper rotation and rest.
Everybody concerned will be better off that way, including the incoming winger, who won’t be overplayed.
It may seem like United signed the players in the wrong order, but at least we did not walk away from the window with nothing in the position.
The job is half done, but half done is better than nothing, which it appeared could be a very real risk at one stage.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after dramatic 1-0 win
- Gary Neville and Marcus Rashford react to Manchester United's late winner vs West Ham
- Rio Ferdinand's instant reaction as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0
- 6 things we learned as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0