Manchester United fans react to seeing Joe Hugill in first team training
Academy sensation Joe Hugill trained with Manchester United’s first team for the first time this week.
Hugill was one of the players called into the senior set up with several first team stars still missing due to extended international involvement and holidays.
It was a big vote of confidence from United’s coaches. Hugill was called up rather than academy teammate Charlie McNeill. This wasn’t surprising though. Hugill scored 10 of his 16 goals last season at under-23 level and McNeill has played mainly for the under-18s.
Hugill had a tremendous campaign [read more in our player season review] after signing from Sunderland. At just 17-years-old he is one of United’s best striker prospects.
Hugill looks more physically developed than he was when he arrived year ago. The Athletic reported earlier in 2021 that he has been put on a weights programme to bulk up. He is already a physically tall striker and when he fills out he will become a very difficult defender for opposing defenders to deal with.
This pre-season is going to be a great opportunity for Hugill to show what he is capable of against senior defenders.
It is very possible United consider sending Hugill out on loan, creating space in the under-23s for McNeill to start more regularly. This is his chance to show he can cut it.
Responses to Hugill’s message
United supporters were encouraged to see Hugill in first team training and responded to his message with words of encouragement. These kind of messages will give Hugill confidence to show what he is capable of as pre-season gets underway…
Keep pushing bro— ManUnited HQ (YouTube) (@HqManunited) July 5, 2021
We are waiting to see you in the first team
Goal machine— El__Dusher 🇵🇸 (@AbdullahiLawerl) July 5, 2021
Keep building up in the gym joe. You will be a unit 💪🏼 big future ahead of you at utd 🔴🤝⚽️— salford boy utd 🔴 (@salfordboyutd) July 5, 2021
Keep going lad, we got high expectations from you🔴— Sid (@UtdSid06) July 5, 2021
Would you look at that! 🤩 Going into the new szn with hunger and determination 👏🏼— izzy (@unofficialra) July 5, 2021
Tear it up and show them what you are capable off— Varane X (@redbrudda) July 5, 2021
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session
- Alejandro Garnacho gives glowing two-word verdict on Manchester United star's World Cup performance
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move
- 'So good': Manchester United star can do 'mad' things with the ball, says international teammate
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star won't be fully appreciated until he's not there, says national team manager
- 'Played really, really well': Ronaldo pays tribute to Manchester United star's performance at the World Cup