Academy sensation Joe Hugill trained with Manchester United’s first team for the first time this week.
Hugill was one of the players called into the senior set up with several first team stars still missing due to extended international involvement and holidays.
It was a big vote of confidence from United’s coaches. Hugill was called up rather than academy teammate Charlie McNeill. This wasn’t surprising though. Hugill scored 10 of his 16 goals last season at under-23 level and McNeill has played mainly for the under-18s.
Hugill had a tremendous campaign [read more in our player season review] after signing from Sunderland. At just 17-years-old he is one of United’s best striker prospects.
Hugill looks more physically developed than he was when he arrived year ago. The Athletic reported earlier in 2021 that he has been put on a weights programme to bulk up. He is already a physically tall striker and when he fills out he will become a very difficult defender for opposing defenders to deal with.
This pre-season is going to be a great opportunity for Hugill to show what he is capable of against senior defenders.
It is very possible United consider sending Hugill out on loan, creating space in the under-23s for McNeill to start more regularly. This is his chance to show he can cut it.
Responses to Hugill’s message
United supporters were encouraged to see Hugill in first team training and responded to his message with words of encouragement. These kind of messages will give Hugill confidence to show what he is capable of as pre-season gets underway…
Keep pushing bro— ManUnited HQ (YouTube) (@HqManunited) July 5, 2021
We are waiting to see you in the first team
Goal machine— El__Dusher 🇵🇸 (@AbdullahiLawerl) July 5, 2021
Keep building up in the gym joe. You will be a unit 💪🏼 big future ahead of you at utd 🔴🤝⚽️— salford boy utd 🔴 (@salfordboyutd) July 5, 2021
Keep going lad, we got high expectations from you🔴— Sid (@UtdSid06) July 5, 2021
Would you look at that! 🤩 Going into the new szn with hunger and determination 👏🏼— izzy (@unofficialra) July 5, 2021
Tear it up and show them what you are capable off— Varane X (@redbrudda) July 5, 2021
- Chong, Garner, Laird: Mixed night for Manchester United loan trio
- How has Angel Gomes fared since making his debut for French champions Lille?
- Paul Pogba leads responses as Manchester United stars rally round Jesse Lingard
- Jesse Lingard sends emotional message to Manchester United fans
- Manchester United youngsters and rivals congratulate Shola Shoretire on winning goal
- Manchester United are getting the full Cristiano Ronaldo experience, embrace it
- United’s dressing room leaders will ensure there is a response on Sunday
- Making a case for Van De Beek to start for United against West Ham
- Bruno Fernandes’ outrageous assist overshadowed by United loss
- Donny van de Beek sends message to United fans after Young Boys defeat
- Shola Shoretire scores the only goal as United U19s win 1-0 in UEFA Youth League
- Diogo Dalot stakes claim for right-back spot after Wan-Bissaka red card