Eric Bailly shook off his weekend injury to go back into Manchester United’s starting line up against Burnley.
It was a popular call from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to bring Bailly in, and the Ivorian showed why.
Bailly has been in terrific form since coming into the side and his display last night once again asked questions as to why he was left out of the Carabao Cup semi-final last week.
He is striking up a solid partnership with Harry Maguire and the duo look impressive together.
Gary Neville told Sky Sports on commentary: “Maguire looks more comfortable alongside him (Bailly) with his pace.”
Having Bailly able to cover Maguire gives the England international more licence to be aggressive and take chances.
Working well together
Bailly made four clearances, more than any United defender. Maguire followed with three.
He also made two interceptions, the highest number of any one in United’s backline.
Burnley pushed United hard. They are an awkward side to defend against and Bailly and Maguire both came through it well.
The duo made a strong case to start at the weekend at Anfield. There will be a lot of disappointed supporters if Victor Lindelof is selected for another big game in Bailly’s place.
It is more than just a partnership. Bailly individually is among the league’s very best when he is fully fit. It is great to see him showcasing his ability once again after a tough injury-hit run.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Bailly’s performance, including some favourable comparisons to Virgil van Dijk…
- Odion Ighalo says goodbye to Manchester United
- Harry Maguire backs Axel Tuanzebe to have an ‘unbelievable career’
- Solskjaer’s five biggest wins as Manchester United manager
- Solskjaer praises Cavani and Greenwood, expects them to shine in coming months
- After seven tough years, this is a Manchester United moment to savour
- Charlie McNeill is giving United fans more reason to be optimistic about the future
- Waiting on Jadon Sancho may turn out to be Manchester United masterstroke
- Is Declan Rice the right player for Manchester United?
- Three ways Manchester United can replace Rashford against Sheffield United
- Pellistri returns to United training as Diallo shows off his skills