Manchester United have announced a late signing, adding Uruguayan winger Facundo Pellistri.
Pellistri joins from Penarol for a fee of around £10 million.
United say Pellistri has signed a five-year contract with an option to extend by a further year.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he was delighted to add Pellistri to the squad.
Solskjaer told the club website: “
Our scouts have followed Facundo for a long time and we believe that he will be a real talent for the long term.
Whilst we understand it will take time for him to adapt to the English game, he is capable of having an impact with his pace and ability to beat his opponent.
“Facundo has the perfect platform at Manchester United to develop and he has all of the technical qualities and the right mentality required to become a top player here.
“We are all looking forward to working with him to fulfil his potential over the coming years.“
Solskjaer’s comments underline he is not expecting an immediate impact from Pellistri.
The Uruguayan will be assessed by United’s coaches, who will decide whether to push him into the first team straight away or give him an extended time adapting to under-23 football.
Facundo Pellistri: Player profile
- Talented young winger
Pellistri is 18 and plays mainly as a right winger, although is also comfortable on the left. He made his debut for Penarol last August at 17.
- The numbers
In total Pellistri has 37 appearances as a professional and two goals. He also has four assists, and made his Copa Libertadores debut in March.
- No red tape hold-up
Pellistri has a Spanish passport, which means he would not require a work permit.
- Style of play
Pellistri’s pace and dribbling ability is his biggest strength. He is keen to take players on and has good close control. He also likes to drop deep and has a good work rate in trying to win the ball back.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool