Jesse Lingard scored his first Manchester United goal in 13 months with a strike against Newcastle.
Lingard replaced Jadon Sancho in the second half and scored United’s fourth in stoppage time after a slick team move.
Lingard’s last United goal came against LASK at Old Trafford in August 2020.
After the game Lingard sent a message expressing his delight at getting back on the scoresheet, and expressing how much he loved the atmosphere on Cristiano Ronaldo’s return.
Lingard’s England teammate and pal from his loan spell at West Ham, Declan Rice, responded. As did Red Devils star Luke Shaw.
Lingard’s decision to stay at Manchester United has been questioned by many media commentators since the transfer deadline passed.
But it is not so easy for Lingard to say goodbye to his boyhood club when the team look like they could be on the verge of something special.
Lingard can still contribute, as he showed today, and he has got his confidence back.
If Rice and Lingard are to team up again at club level, the more likely scenario could be the Hammers midfielder heading north in 2022.
Next week the pair could go head to head, with United facing West Ham in the Premier League next weekend. There is then a Carabao Cup match between the two sides days later.
Lingard has a good chance to start at least one of those two games, but up next is a Champions League clash away to Young Boys on Tuesday night.
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap