Gary Neville has paid tribute to Scott McTominay’s performance against Leeds.
McTominay scored two early goals to put Manchester United into the lead and he helped inspire a strong all round performance as the game finished 6-2.
McTominay drove United forward, exploiting gaps left behind by a naive Leeds side.
He created three goalscoring chances as United ran riot, providing the assist for Dan James’ goal.
His performance caught the attention of former United captain Gary Neville, who made a lofty comparison.
Neville told Sky Sports: “It was McTominay who was outstanding in that first few minutes. He was like Keane and Scholes rolled into one. It was a breathtaking start.
“They were right at it from the first 20 seconds Manchester United. They were quick in the passing, running forward, really committed to scoring goals knowing they couldn’t sit back and take this Leeds team on this way.”
McTominay epitomised United’s strong start and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer deserves credit for that.
Solskjaer rotated the squad to rest McTominay and Fred in midweek, preserving them for this fixture. It ensured both had the fitness and intensity required to match and better Leeds’ intensity.
McTominay showed also that he has the quality on the ball and in front of goal if given the opportunity to get forward.
He now has more league goals than Kai Havertz, while his tally for the season stands at three, equal to Anthony Martial.
United’s midfield is looking stronger and more competitive than ever and McTominay is a player who has got it all. If he can add more attacking spirit to his game as he showed against Leeds, he will begin to command more and more respect.
- Five things learned as Manchester United beat Manchester City 2-0
- Manchester United’s three best players in 2-0 win over City
- Juan Mata’s 90% shot-accuracy shows he could have Manchester United role during goal struggles
- Three things Solskjaer has got right and wrong this season
- How Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is faring since leaving Manchester United permanently
- Manchester United loanee James Garner has big point to prove this weekend
- Amad Diallo is the risk Solskjaer should be taking at Manchester United
- Diogo Dalot has perfect opportunity to impress against Manchester United
- Ed Woodward needs to back Solskjaer this summer to complete Manchester United’s squad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Manchester City
- Manchester United’s plan to rely on Mason Greenwood may need to be re-assessed