While there is a bitter edge to Angel di Maria’s latest return games against Manchester United with Paris Saint-Germain, teammate Ander Herrera will be welcomed back to Old Trafford.
PSG have been drawn in Manchester United’s group for the upcoming Champions League, along with RB Leipzig and Istanbul Basaksehir.
Herrera left United in 2019 to join PSG, and while he has been in and out of their starting line up, he did start the Champions League final for them in August.
United forward Marcus Rashford was in contact with former teammate Herrera on social media last night, and had a simple message for the Spaniard: ‘Game on’.
Herrera was in the United line up when Rashford made his debut, and both players featured in the club’s Europa League win in 2017.
The matches are likely to be played without supporters in attendance, as it stands, and that is a big shame for Herrera who would have got a strong reception at Old Trafford.
Di Maria on the other hand may be very thankful that there will not be a crowd to boo and jeer his every touch.
Another former player, Rafael da Silva, is set to return to Old Trafford with his new club Istanbul Basaksehir.
He has sent a message already expressing how excited he is to return to ‘where it all began’ one more time.
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges