The Champions League was not the only competition Manchester United exited on Tuesday night.
United’s youngsters bowed out of the EFL Trophy after a 3-2 defeat away to Accrington Stanley’s first team.
While the scoreline was the same as the first team’s loss in Leipzig, this was a far tighter game.
United twice came back from a goal behind to equalise, but could not find a third goal.
New signing Facundo Pellistri notably scored United’s opener. This was his second goal in his last two games.
The Uruguayan capitalised on a defensive mix-up to round the Stanley goalkeeper to score.
While Pellistri ruthlessly capitalised on a moment of good fortune, United’s second goal was entirely a moment of individual brilliance.
Anthony Elanga picked the ball up out wide in his own half, before dribbling fast into the space in front of him
The Swedish winger kept possession and shot across goal to score an equaliser.
The club website reported: “Elanga gave a terrific example of his huge potential when he swept down the left wing, covering something like 60 yards in the process, before beating ‘keeper Baxter with a fabulous angled shot.“
Despite the defeat, United’s youngsters gave a strong account of themselves in this competition, winning two games against first team sides.
Even the defeat was a spirited one, with moments to be positive about.
16-year-old Shola Shoretire was among the starters picking up valuable experience against first team players.
United’s youngsters will end up benefitting from the Champions League elimination.
Elanga and Pellistri are among the players who will be in contention for Europa League appearances.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy