The Champions League was not the only competition Manchester United exited on Tuesday night.
United’s youngsters bowed out of the EFL Trophy after a 3-2 defeat away to Accrington Stanley’s first team.
While the scoreline was the same as the first team’s loss in Leipzig, this was a far tighter game.
United twice came back from a goal behind to equalise, but could not find a third goal.
New signing Facundo Pellistri notably scored United’s opener. This was his second goal in his last two games.
The Uruguayan capitalised on a defensive mix-up to round the Stanley goalkeeper to score.
While Pellistri ruthlessly capitalised on a moment of good fortune, United’s second goal was entirely a moment of individual brilliance.
Anthony Elanga picked the ball up out wide in his own half, before dribbling fast into the space in front of him
The Swedish winger kept possession and shot across goal to score an equaliser.
The club website reported: “Elanga gave a terrific example of his huge potential when he swept down the left wing, covering something like 60 yards in the process, before beating ‘keeper Baxter with a fabulous angled shot.“
Despite the defeat, United’s youngsters gave a strong account of themselves in this competition, winning two games against first team sides.
Even the defeat was a spirited one, with moments to be positive about.
16-year-old Shola Shoretire was among the starters picking up valuable experience against first team players.
United’s youngsters will end up benefitting from the Champions League elimination.
Elanga and Pellistri are among the players who will be in contention for Europa League appearances.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice