Eric Bailly gave a rare interview this week in which he spoke about life at United and his style as a defender.
Speaking to Guillem Balague’s Pure Football Podcast, Bailly said he is a man of few words and the only time he will talk to opponents is if he says sorry after committing a bad foul.
Bailly praised manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and said that the United manager’s experience as a striker enables him to give a unique perspective to defenders.
The United defender explained: “I always play at my maximum and he’ll say to me, Eric, you’re an aggressive player, the forwards don’t like this aggression or this and that. He’s been a forward, so he knows.
“There are many important bits of advice he gives to a centre back, a lot to take on.
“We learn from him, how to influence the forward, where to be. He gives us a lot with advice about that, when to make interceptions, the centre-backs need to be close to the forwards, especially a true striker, little details he tells us.”
A different perspective
Solskjaer’s playing career as a forward often leads to the assumption his goalscoring prowess would be a huge help to the club’s forwards. Bailly’s comments about the defence shows it works the other way too.
Bailly’s uncompromising style can occasionally backfire in the way of injury, but it sounds like Solskjaer does not want him to tone it down.
The former Villarreal defender has been excellent since returning to the side in December and he impressed last week against Real Sociedad; his latest comeback after another brief spell on the sidelines.
There is a chance he features tonight at Old Trafford in the second leg. But if he sits out, this could also be a positive, as it could mean he is being held back to face Chelsea on Sunday.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy