Di'Shon Bernard keeps another clean sheet as he continues to progress at Hull
Manchester United defender Di’Shon Bernard is continuing to improve on loan at Hull City.
After featuring in pre-season, Bernard secured a loan move to the Championship after a solid year at League Two side Salford City last season.
Bernard began the season on the bench and even missed a decisive spot-kick in Hull’s early Carabao Cup exit. Since then he has kicked on.
He has now started the last three Championship games and is statistically Hull’s best player this season, according to WhoScored.com, with the highest average rating of all players.
Making a mark
Hull have now kept clean sheets in their last two games, shutting out Bournemouth, and then this weekend, Swansea City.
Local paper the Hull Daily Mail gave Bernard a 8/10 player rating for his performance.
The paper noted: “Battled well against the tricky Piroe and had plenty of defending to do throughout the afternoon, picked up a silly booking. Never shirked and stood up to it well.”
Bernard made seven clearances, more than any other player, and two interceptions. With 62 touches he had more touches than any other Hull player.
Manchester United will be delighted with Bernard’s progress. There is a case to be made that the 20-year-old is climbing back above Teden Mengi, who failed to secure a loan move.
Defensive competition is very steep at Old Trafford, but one way or another, Bernard is showing he has a promising footballing future wherever his future lies.
Ethan Laird on the other side
Another Manchester United defender went up against Bernard, with Ethan Laird starting for Swansea City.
This was Laird’s third appearance and first clean sheet, with the game ending in a 0-0 draw. He once again featured in a wing-back role.
Laird created two chances and won three aerial battles in an all action display.
Like Bernard, the 20-year-old is showing he can cope at Championship level and if he continues to improve, once the season is over, he might fancy a crack at the Premier League.
- Like Haaland: Van Dijk names 'quick' Manchester United striker target as one of his toughest opponents
- Manchester United keeping track of 'huge talent' Kouadio Kone
- Amazing unseen footage emerges of Manchester United's 1999 Treble win
- Prolific striker Ralf Rangnick wanted at Manchester United scores 6 goals in one game
- 'I know'… Club chief speaks out over 34-goal Manchester United target amid 'official offer' claims
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee hits the gym ahead of important summer
- 39-year-old Manchester United man announces retirement from professional football
- 5 Italian players that played for Manchester United amid links with £51m former Atalanta man
- 'I blame the Glazers': Neville says Manchester United should have axed figure years ago
- Manchester United must target £30m 'best in Eredivisie' DM, wore Red Devils shirt in 2021
- Manchester United Champions League winner hailed £43m target as 'fantastic player'
- 6 Manchester United stars in 'worst Premier League XI of the season'
- Photo: Paul Pogba new haircut drops latest United to Juventus exit hint
- 95% Pass Accuracy, 2 Chances Created: £20m Ten Hag target shows why Manchester United are keen
- Photo: Marcus Rashford celebrates getting engaged