Manchester United defender Di’Shon Bernard is continuing to improve on loan at Hull City.
After featuring in pre-season, Bernard secured a loan move to the Championship after a solid year at League Two side Salford City last season.
Bernard began the season on the bench and even missed a decisive spot-kick in Hull’s early Carabao Cup exit. Since then he has kicked on.
He has now started the last three Championship games and is statistically Hull’s best player this season, according to WhoScored.com, with the highest average rating of all players.
Making a mark
Hull have now kept clean sheets in their last two games, shutting out Bournemouth, and then this weekend, Swansea City.
Local paper the Hull Daily Mail gave Bernard a 8/10 player rating for his performance.
The paper noted: “Battled well against the tricky Piroe and had plenty of defending to do throughout the afternoon, picked up a silly booking. Never shirked and stood up to it well.”
Bernard made seven clearances, more than any other player, and two interceptions. With 62 touches he had more touches than any other Hull player.
Manchester United will be delighted with Bernard’s progress. There is a case to be made that the 20-year-old is climbing back above Teden Mengi, who failed to secure a loan move.
Defensive competition is very steep at Old Trafford, but one way or another, Bernard is showing he has a promising footballing future wherever his future lies.
Ethan Laird on the other side
Another Manchester United defender went up against Bernard, with Ethan Laird starting for Swansea City.
This was Laird’s third appearance and first clean sheet, with the game ending in a 0-0 draw. He once again featured in a wing-back role.
Laird created two chances and won three aerial battles in an all action display.
Like Bernard, the 20-year-old is showing he can cope at Championship level and if he continues to improve, once the season is over, he might fancy a crack at the Premier League.
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat
- Anthony Elanga makes a big impression in a short amount of time
- Solskjaer comments on Edinson Cavani’s fitness
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it