Di'Shon Bernard keeps another clean sheet as he continues to progress at Hull
Manchester United defender Di’Shon Bernard is continuing to improve on loan at Hull City.
After featuring in pre-season, Bernard secured a loan move to the Championship after a solid year at League Two side Salford City last season.
Bernard began the season on the bench and even missed a decisive spot-kick in Hull’s early Carabao Cup exit. Since then he has kicked on.
He has now started the last three Championship games and is statistically Hull’s best player this season, according to WhoScored.com, with the highest average rating of all players.
Making a mark
Hull have now kept clean sheets in their last two games, shutting out Bournemouth, and then this weekend, Swansea City.
Local paper the Hull Daily Mail gave Bernard a 8/10 player rating for his performance.
The paper noted: “Battled well against the tricky Piroe and had plenty of defending to do throughout the afternoon, picked up a silly booking. Never shirked and stood up to it well.”
Bernard made seven clearances, more than any other player, and two interceptions. With 62 touches he had more touches than any other Hull player.
Manchester United will be delighted with Bernard’s progress. There is a case to be made that the 20-year-old is climbing back above Teden Mengi, who failed to secure a loan move.
Defensive competition is very steep at Old Trafford, but one way or another, Bernard is showing he has a promising footballing future wherever his future lies.
Ethan Laird on the other side
Another Manchester United defender went up against Bernard, with Ethan Laird starting for Swansea City.
This was Laird’s third appearance and first clean sheet, with the game ending in a 0-0 draw. He once again featured in a wing-back role.
Laird created two chances and won three aerial battles in an all action display.
Like Bernard, the 20-year-old is showing he can cope at Championship level and if he continues to improve, once the season is over, he might fancy a crack at the Premier League.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager
- 82 Touches, 4 Interceptions: Manchester United teenager Ten Hag admires seizes chance
- Impressive Manchester United loanee provides assist v league leaders, Red Devils teammate hooked after 58 minutes
- Manchester United took a step forward under Ten Hag at the weekend, if you look closely enough
- Report: Manchester United have second chance to sign Haaland Mk II
- Garnacho scores late winner and Pellistri starts as Manchester United u21s beat Barrow